ᴄ ʜ ᴀ ʀ ʟ ᴇ s ᴛ ᴏ ɴ

Sage sat fidgeting in her seat as she looked down at her test

Sage sat fidgeting in her seat as she looked down at her test. Sage had never been good at tests, she was smart, but she always had test anxiety, and nearly never did her homework.

Sage looked around the room, seeing a few student finishing their tests while she was only less than half way done.

"Hey Mr. Sunn, could I borrow Pope for a minute?" A man in a tuxedo asked as he stood in the doorway. Mr. Sunn stood up, and walked over to him and whispered.

"We're in the middle of a test right now." Mr. Sunn said.

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation." The man spoke. Sage's attention was now anywhere but her test.

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you." Mr. Sunn spoke. Pope stood up slowly, and made his way out of the room. Kie turned and looked at Sage, who shrugged.

Sage held up the number seven, asking Kie for the answer, and she held up the letter A in sign language.

Sage sighed in relief, as she signed each question answer to her. Sage stood up, and turned in her finished test, and sat back down.

Pope walked back in the room with a yellow envelope in his hands. Sage looked at him, who leaned over and showed Kie, JJ, and Sage the letter.

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Kie whispered, and Pope nodded.

"What the f- fu... fu... fudge." JJ yelled, before trailing off once Mr. Sunn gave him a stern look.

~

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked, rolling his eyes. Sage shrugged as they kept following Pope. "Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asked, grabbing Pope by the shoulder.

"Okay so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it." Pope said, holding out the letter. JJ impatiently snatched it from his hands, and pulled out the note, and stared at it.

"Read it out loud." Kie demanded, and JJ sighed.

"I can't read cursive." JJ spoke, and Sage took the letter from his hands and looked down at it.

"Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge." Sage read, and Kie took it from her hands.

"It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone." Kie read, and they all exchanged looks.

"Charleston?" JJ asked.

"I know it's like an eight hour drive plus the ferry. How are we gonna get there tonight?" Pope asked.

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ said.

"Sage and I have free periods." Kie said, folding up the letter, and putting it back in the envelope.