Chapter 1 - A Swifter Rider [Part One]

BERSERKER CAY - SIX YEARS LATER

"Blade! Don't forget to feed yourself! I don't want you going with Anju on an empty stomach!" the six year old's mother tells him in a stern voice.

"Yes, Mom." he mumbles and scrambles to pull his tiny body onto the chair.

He sits up straight as Heather places a plate loaded with beans and yak chops in front of her son. Blade eagerly digs into his food just as Rajiv strolls in. The young Berserker's ears perk up as he smiles big.

"Hey buddy. What do you got there?" Rajiv asks.

"Beans! And Mommy's yak chops!" Blade responds happily.

"Sounds good. Can I steal some?" the brown haired Viking grins as he makes a move to pretend to steal a yak chop from his son's plate.

"NO!" his son yells. "Mine!"

His dad laughs and goes to take a seat across from the six year old. He merely watches the child stuff food into his small mouth.

"Careful you don't choke, young man." Heather reminds Blade.

"I am, mommy." Blade says with a piece of yak chop in his mouth.

"And no talking with food your mouth." she adds as he swallows his food then smiles sheepishly.

The family of three sit in silence for several long minutes until Blade jumps off his chair. "Can I go explore with Anju, now?" he asks his parents.

"Be careful, buddy." Rajiv tells him.

"I'd say for you to take Windshear with you but she's in the Hidden World, so please head your dad's words." Heather says after she sighs loudly.

"Okay! I promise I'll be careful!" Blade shouts and quickly throws his tiny arms around both his parents before he darts out the door.

NEW BERK - 100 MILES FROM BERSERKER CAY

"Dart! Catch, girl!" an auburn haired Viking girl shouts as she tosses a cod into the air.

A young dragon bounds over to the cod and roughly eats it. She glances at the girl as she tilts her head to the left.

"I know, girl. I wish we could go flying but Mom and Dad won't let us." the girl mutters.

Dart presses her head into the girl's arm and nuzzles her. The girl merely smiles at the dragon's antics.

"You're too good for me. I don't deserve you." the girl whispers. "But I sure am glad to be your bonded rider whenever we can actually ride together."

"AHH! WHY DO I KEEP FALLING OFF?!" the girl hears one of her friends shriek.

She and Dart share a look before the female duo race to the center of the village. The girl and dragon halt in their tracks as a brown haired Viking girl keeps sliding off the back of a dragon.

"Can Tatsu stand still so that I may stay on his back!" the Viking girl groans.

"What are you doing, Alvi?" Dart's rider asks her.

"Trying to stay on Tatsu's back! As you can see it's not going very good." Alvi responds with a huff as she falls off Tatsu's back yet again.

"Can't you just ask your brother for help?" the girl comments.

"Oh my Thor, Zephyr you're amazing! Gizor should be of help! I mean, he is the rider to a scauldron." Alvi mutters.