22. The List

"I got the list." Felix handed the paper to Mason. "It is to our advantage. It shows each of their locations."

Trent walked over to me and grinned shyly. He looked different. His gorgeous blonde hair was the same as always, straight and shaggy, but he was taller, and his abs were even more visible through his tight-fitted shirt.

"You're back." He playfully punched me on the shoulder. "I thought I was a goner."

I returned his smile. "I was afraid we were too late." I wrapped my arms around him and he hugged me back. Unlike the past times when he squeezed me too tight or touched me in a teasing manner, this felt nice. He pulled away much quicker than I expected.

I looked around at all of the unfamiliar outcasts. All of them were children. "I had no idea that Felix was going to bring all of you." Elizabeth was here, too. She smiled up at me and I picked her up. "You are so cute." Her red hair was French braided down her back, and her eyes were bright blue.

"My name is E-wiz-a-beff," she said.

I chuckled at her pronunciation of her name; baby talk was adorable. "Hi, Elizabeth. I am Avril." I glanced at Felix. "I'm sure they're aware of everything."

He nodded. "Zius talked me into bringing them. He doesn't want to get hurt if it comes to war."

"That's all right," Chase said. "It's great, actually. The more people we have, the better our chances will be."

"What are your names? And how old are you?" Scott asked.

One of the boys raised his hand. "I'm Harvey. I am fourteen."

A girl came and sat on the bed beside me. She took Elizabeth and sat her on her lap. "My name is Shyanne. My hair is naturally black, but it's dyed blonde right now." It was true. Its natural color had begun to grow back; the roots were very dark. "I'm ten."

"I'm eight, and my name is Sylvester," said a boy with curly brown hair. His eyes fixed on Skylar. "Is that the bird boy? He doesn't look like a bird to me."

Skylar laughed and stood up. He began to float off the floor. "See? I can fly, and I eat worms. Other than that, I am just like everyone else."

A dark-haired boy smiled. "My name is Toby. I'm seven years old."

"Me too," Skylar said.

The last boy raised his hand. "I am Van and I am six." He had auburn hair and a freckled face.

"Are any of you hungry?" Dawn asked.

"Not really," Harvey said. "Just tired. Zius woke us up before we came. Do you mind if we get some more sleep?"

Shane tossed him a pillow. "You'll need it. Tomorrow we are going to find my brothers and sisters."

***

"Let me see the list," I whispered.

The children were asleep. Both beds were completely filled up, which left me and the others with no other option than the floor.

Felix passed it to me. "This is incredible. I can't believe we're almost free."

"Don't get your hopes up," Trent grumbled. "Something could still go wrong."

I took the paper and read over the data. He was right. Most of the work was already done for us. Going across the page from left to right were the names of the outcasts, their carriers and locations. And not just the ones in our state. It showed all the ones in the country.

"I can't believe we didn't know it." Mason grabbed the paper, read over it, then passed it to someone else.

After everyone had saw it, Trent asked, "Where should we begin? The sooner we start, the sooner the war will end."

***

We decided to begin our search in Florida. We figured that if we started from the southernmost state and worked our way up, it wouldn't take as long. There were two women who lived there—Ginger and Camille. They were both in their early twenties. Depending on their preferences, they could either be in a college or working as a waitress at a diner.

"Which one should we start with?" Harvey asked.

I snatched a piece of bacon off his plate and nibbled on the end. "Actually, I think it would be better if you kids go back to Alabama and hide. That way we'll know the carriers won't run away when they see you."

"Even me, Mama?" Skylar asked, fumbling with his shoelaces. He loved tying them but always forgot where the hole was.

I crouched down and helped him finish. "Yes. You know I hate being away from you, but I trust these guys and know they will keep you safe." I pulled him in my arms and kissed his forehead. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he whispered.

Trent took his hand and helped him up. I grabbed his arm and squeezed it tightly. "Please take care of him. I don't know how I'll ever go on if something happens to him."

"He'll be fine. I'm not the same outcast I used to be. I won't let anything happen to him." Trent chuckled. "Thanks for worrying about me. I see that I'm not your favorite anymore."

I loosened my grip and stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "I'll admit it. When we first met, I couldn't stand you. But things are different now. I can't imagine life without you, either."

"Thanks. I knew you would fall for me eventually. Everyone does."

I smacked his arm and he laughed.

"Come on. Let them go. They will be okay. This will all be over soon," Mason said.

He was right. There would be plenty of time for jokes later. I stepped away from the outcasts and they disappeared.

"We should go, too," Dawn said. "I don't know about you guys, but I am so ready. I have longed for this day for so long. You guys just don't know how exciting this is for me."

I took a swig of milk. "Yeah, but we should split up. Shane, will you make copies of the list?"

"Sure." He opened the drawer on the desk. There were plenty of stationary items inside. He took out a notebook and pen and began writing.

"Do you think that's a good idea?" Michel wondered. "Neither you or Dawn have powers to help you out. Shouldn't one of us go with you?"

"Dawn can manage. As for me, I have a job I need to do alone. I have a theory, and I hope it's wrong." I pushed my empty plate away and jumped to my feet.

"What is it?" Mason asked.

I walked to the door and gripped the handle. The metal was cool beneath my skin. "The war between us and the outcasts is only the beginning. Something bad is about to happen, and if I don't stop it, everyone going to die."

"What's the new plan?" Shane asked.

"There are thirty different locations. Each of you will get an equal share but leave Alabama to me. I need to talk to my father privately."

"Mark?" Dawn's eyes widened.

"My parents knew and have lied to me for too long."

I didn't want my friends to see me cry. They'd seen me cry before, yes, but this was different. I felt broken, like everything that had ever happened was fake. For all I know, my whole life could be a lie. The saddest part, though, was that my dad was the least of my worries.