Chapter 1: MJ's Pov

Hey everyone!

It's been a long time since I've written fanfiction but my maladaptive daydreaming is out of control so I'm hoping this will help.

I only recently watched Spiderman: Homecoming and Spiderman: Far from Home in the last few days (I know, I know) and fell in love with the characters. One thing I wished was that they fleshed out the relationship between MJ and Peter a bit more, so this is what I'm going to try and do.

The events of this story occur after Endgame but before Far From Home.

Hope you guys like it!

__________

MJ's POV

Michelle Jones pushed open the door of her apartment building that she shared with her mother, munching on a muesli bar as she began the long trek down the stairs. The elevator had long since stopped working and it was obvious the property manager had no intention to fix it, regardless of the many petitions the building's tenants signed that she took to the company. Old Aunt Glenda from the apartment across from her had to move as it was too much for her to walk down the ten flights of stairs with her old walker, though MJ insisted that she was more than happy to help her make the trek back and forth each day. In the end, Glenda had to move into a retirement home, something she was always fervently against but there was really nowhere else she could afford to go. Michelle's heart squeezed at the thought. She missed her. Aunt Glenda, she wasn't really her aunt but that's what she insisted MJ call her, was one of the few people in the world who appeared to enjoy talking to MJ and shared the same topics of interest; feminism, black rights and conspiracy theories concerning their current government. Michelle reminded herself that she would be visiting her at the end of the week, but after growing accustomed to seeing her almost every day for the past three years, it felt like forever.

Finally making it to the end of the stairs, MJ pushed the door open, wincing at the shriek the unoiled doors made and stepped out onto the busy street. In the past, she would have turned left and headed for the bus stop, but she turned right instead. MJ had decided to try walking to the school two years ago and hadn't stopped since. Even when it rained, she preferred to walk as she listened to true crime podcasts through her headphones as opposed to the shrieking of her fellow classmates who clearly hadn't had enough sleep and were much to excitable to be alive on a Monday morning.

The walk to the Midtown School of Science and Technology took an hour's walk, but MJ found it passed in a blur. The first few weeks when she started had been painful but now it was just second nature. She had familiarised herself with the different buildings and did not have to think about where she was going as her body took her to the school with automatic control. That gave her the ability to listen to her podcasts with better focus now.

Even though the walk to school meant she had to get up earlier anyway, she always tried to arrive at school no later than 45 minutes prior to her first class. MJ liked to sit on the front steps and people watch. She liked to observe her classmates at the start of the day before the classes and dramas of the day turned everyone into zombies.

Taking a set on the stairs, she switched her Podcast out for her music playlist. She had an eclectic music taste and put the playlist on shuffle. Filled with hundreds of songs, she never knew what she was going to get and had vowed to herself she would not get in the habit of skipping songs she wasn't feeling because any song she added to the playlist had a meaning to her at one point or another. The words of Florence and the Machine's Cosmic Love filled her ears as she positioned her backpack behind her against the pillar so she could get comfortable leaning against the stair pillar as she began her people-watching. She watched as the girls with their pretty sleek hair and short skirts giggled together as they entered the school. She watched as the jocks jostled each other and laughed loudly at stupid jokes they each told. She watched them all walk past her, but no one watched her back and that's how she preferred it. It gave her a sense of control to know what was going on with everyone else while she flew under the radar.