The gift

1974

It's been nearly 6 years since you first watched flying circus and became a massive fan of it. At this point, you were so in love with Monty Python, that whenever an article appeared in a newspaper or magazine, you'd cut it out and stick it on your growing Monty Python collage wall or if they released a new record, you bought it.  Recently, you read that flying circus was ending later this year  but you also heard they were doing a live show at Dury Lane and you really wanted to go.

A few months later...

It's your birthday and your sitting in the living room, surrounded by wrapping paper. You were on the last present which was from your parents; it was a small yet long and thin parcel wrapped neatly in floral paper with a neat string tied around it.

You opened it, unsure of what the gift was, but your face lit up when you held tickets to the Monty Python show at Dury Lane.

Immediately, you ran up to your parents and pounced on them like a leopard, embracing them both in a massive hug.

'Thank you. Thank you' you repeated excessively.

Holding the tickets in your hands, you rushed to grab the home phone in the hallway to tell your best friend (there were 3 tickets so she was able to go as well - the other ticket was for one of your parents as they were very overprotective despite you being in your late teens).

As you picked up the phone, the line crackled violently but you still dialled your friend's number and she picked up almost instantly screamed  through the phone.

'HAPPY BIRTHDAY (Y/N) !'

'Thank you ... Guess what?'

'What?'

'I got tickets for Monty Python life at Dury Lane in a few weeks and I have an extra ticket. You wanna come?'

Your friend screeched 'Do I!'

'I'm so excited'

'Me too'

You both chatted for a bit about the live show (what you were going to wear etc) and eventually ended the call.

Both of you couldn't wait a month until this live show but you just had to.