Icarus

Chapter Note

Thanks so much as always for all the lovely feedback :) It's always a joy to see your reactions and thoughts as you read through!

Chapter title credit goes to Bastille.

Definitely changing my posting schedule to late evenings (Tues/Sat), now. It's just easier for me.

Enjoy!

●◊●◊●

The reception area at Top Flight is a claustrophobic room, approximately ten by ten. Behind the desk sits a slight woman with a diamond nose stud, and dark hair dyed the color of raspberries. Framed pictures of gleeful skydivers — all wearing dark flight suits similar in color to what the victim had been wearing — cover the sky-blue wall behind the desk. The room contains a tiny row of chairs aligned along the back wall, a small end table covered in skydiving-themed magazines, and an unmarked door.

"Cleo Post," Chloe says to the red-haired receptionist. Chloe gestures to Lucifer, who's standing like a silent shadow beside her, fixated on the pictures like they're crime scene photos. "And this is my boyfriend, Luke Iver. We're signed up for the—"

"The beginner class at 9:30," says the receptionist, nodding. She pokes a long, manicured fingernail at the monitor, marking her place with a faint tap. "Yes, I have you listed riiight ... uh ... here."

The keyboard clacks. A few mouse clicks later, the woman peels her attention away from the screen to peer at Chloe. Her eyebrows knit. She gives Lucifer a furtive glance, her puzzled expression intensifying.

"Something wrong?" Chloe says.

"You look ... familiar," says the receptionist. She brushes a braid away from her face. "Have you been here before?"

"Nope. Never skydived before in my life."

"Huh."

Chloe beams. "I guess I've just got one of those faces."

The other woman nods absently, shifting her attention to Lucifer. "What about you? Your first time as well?"

When Lucifer doesn't speak, Chloe nudges him with her elbow. "Oh, I've done it once," he says, tearing himself away from scrutinizing the photos. "Didn't go well. Utter pants, actually."

The receptionist smiles. "Well, don't worry, Mr. Iver. We'll make sure your experience here at Top Flight is far more enjoyable."

"I daresay it would be almost impossible not to," Lucifer replies with an oozing grin that doesn't meet his eyes. "For once, I give superior credit to human inferiority."

Chloe coughs.

"Right," the receptionist says slowly. "Well." She points at the unmarked door. "You two just go right through there. You'll find your jumpsuits in the locker rooms. After you change, just head on back past the showers. That's where the simulators are. You'll find your other classmates there already."

"Sorry we're a little late," Chloe says.

"Oh, it's no problem," the receptionist replies, beaming at them. "We pad the schedule specifically to account for stragglers."

"One can only wonder why people would be routinely late for such a downer experience," Lucifer cracks, deadpan.

"Oh, you're so funny!"

"I've been told that, yes."

Chloe closes her eyes and wishes for fortitude.