It's the Fear

Chapter Note

I'm baaack! Title credit for this chapter goes to Within Temptation. Thanks as always to everybody who takes the time to leave me feedback, whether that be in kudos or comment form. Enjoy :D

●◊●◊●

"Good morning to you," Chloe sings into the receiver to the tune of Happy Birthday. She's been taking great pains to call Trixie over breakfast and at bedtime whenever Trixie stays at Dan's. Just to help her settle into the fact that Mommy's not going anywhere. "Good morning to you. Good morning, little monkey. Good morning to you."

"You promise I'll see you tonight?" Trixie says, her doubt a palpable, hefty weight tugging down on each syllable.

Chloe nods. "Pinky swear!"

Trixie laughs. "Mommy, you can't pinky swear over the phone!"

"Well, I cross my heart, then, yeah?" Chloe drags her index finger over the left side of her chest, drawing an X. She sits on the lid of the toilet in Lucifer's massive bathroom as he primps and preens for the wall-to-wall mirror. Between his hair products, cologne collection, makeup, flat iron, blow dryer, razors, and vast array of shaving creams and aftershaves, he has no counter space left. Glass bottles, metal cans, doodads, gadgets, and various cords cover the entire surface. She had no idea his morning grooming ritual was so involved. "And after you do your homework, we can watch whatever movie you want, okay?'

"Any movie?"

Chloe nods again as Lucifer pulls a brush through his hair, slicking the wet strands to his scalp. "Within reason. I'll even make popcorn."

"I like popcorn!"

She grins. "I know you do."

Across the line, a voice murmurs in the background. Trixie says something, but not to the receiver. A sigh blusters into the speaker. "Daddy's making me give the phone over, because we're late."

Chloe's grin widens. "Okay, babe. I love you!"

"Love you, too!"

Another blast of noise floods the line, and then Dan clears his throat. "So, I'm gonna drop her off around 5:30. Sound good?"

"Yep. All good here. See you tonight!"

A pause. "Hey, Chlo?"

"Yeah?"

"Be careful today, okay?" Dan says, sounding tired. "I really don't want a phone call from the precinct about you."

Her heart clenches. "I promise."

When she hangs up the phone, she finds Lucifer staring at her in the mirror.

"What?" she asks.

He shrugs. "You should sing more often. You've a lovely voice."

The silk bathrobe she borrowed from him is long enough to hit her calves. Her face heats as she futzes with a seam. "Thanks."

"I only speak truth." The blow dryer turns on with a hum that echoes in the marbled expanse.

She watches with morbid fascination as he runs his fingers through his hair. Pre-product, his locks fluff up like feathers on a disgruntled bird. "Hey," she says, frowning.

He turns to her, eyebrows raised.

"If you're invulnerable when you're not around me, how in the hell do you normally shave?"