Moving in

Being an only child makes life hard; All the attention is on you, with everything you do. Yet, what Raelle went through in her life, was nothing to what was said.

You'd think that with being "an only child" you got everything you wanted—wrong. Raelle and her parents were living a poor life, even though her mother was a Navy medic for the United States military. Living in a moderate house—one story with three beds, a small kitchen with its necessities, and a mix for living room and dining room—they were poor. All the money that Willa, Raelle's mom, got paid, was either going right into Raelle's college fund or the debts they were in from the beginning.

And right now, is probably the best and worst time of the teenager's life. Everything she ever owned was packed away into boxes and crates, being carried up the stairs in her hands or her father's at the college she got a full-ride sports scholarship.

"Is this everything, Rae?" Raelle's dad, Edwin, asked when he slowly set down the last box full of books and a stack of letters from Willa's time away in Afghanistan or Iraq.

"Yep," Raelle nodded, popping the 'p'.

They looked around, both dreading the fact that after an eleven-hour drive, they have to unpack all of this. At least they have a couple more days before everything is supposed to be settled and another two weeks before classes are supposed to begin.

Going to Virginia State University was probably the biggest opportunity for Raelle when she got the offer of a full-ride for Lacrosse in the middle of her senior year playing at her old high school in Chippewa Cession—at the border of the Mississippi state line.

It was the best offer she had, DI, instead of DII or DII from colleges she wasn't even looking at and yet she applied to. Just in case.

Once the offer was handed, everything changed. Her behavior from being laid back and not giving two shits went to the best attendance, best focus, and better grades than the already A+ she was getting in all of her classes.

So, here and now, is the best thing and yet worst opportunity she could've ever had.

It was eight o'clock at night when everything was at least situated and cleaned up before they went to the cheap hotel Edwin had rented. It was the closest and cheapest decision, so booking it was partially easy.

The morning after was much like the day before—waking up and getting the day right into shopping, more unpacking and reorganizing, and building—buying a new mattress and desk at IKEA, decorations in the dollar section at Target, or using her allowance that student saved for that too. It was just a busy day, and that night was going to be the first of many that Raelle will be sleeping in until the first break they have in the school year.

"You have the credit cards and everything?" Edwin questions when he was getting ready to leave for the night and head to the hotel.

"Yes dad, I have everything I need," Raelle answered with a fond eye roll to her father.

Gently swatting her arm, Edwin chuckled with his daughter before they both brought each other into a tight hug. "You're going to be fine kid, she'll be home in no time and a call might be coming your way from her," Rubbing his daughters' back in circular motions.

Nodding into his neck, Raelle whispered, "I know dad." She did, she truly did, because that was all she got from her mother in all her life. A phone call or a letter, being raised by her dad was the only thing she knew. And it was better than what she has given except for a paycheck.

Raelle loves her mother, but lately, she's been distant and everything in her life except for moving away to college has gone to shit.

It's been a couple of days and with the pre-season training with the team and being a freshman, she needed to step up and get all of her time management skills in order or she'll be dying once school starts.

Though she did make some new friends with some of the older girls and two new best friends that are also freshmen on the team too—Tally Craven and Abigail Bellwether.

She was kinda creeped out at the last names of both girls, yet the differences between all three of them made it a good match.

Raelle was the realistic one. Knows when to admit one of them is wrong and is not afraid to have the truth be said without sugar coding shit.

Tally's the complete opposite. Optimistic and very sunshine and rainbows type of girl. She's always smiling and trying to make everyone feel better after doing a fucking horrible job. She's just a very shiny person in general.

As for Abbigail, well, that girl is like a fucking machine gun. Too serious and very unpredictable on the field. Her passes are like a bullet and accurate, but her attitude on the field is like she's the captain of the entire franchise. Having a mom that's pretty much in the Virginia state hall of fame has some pressure on her, but it doesn't mean being a bitch is what they're asking for either.

It's the reason why they fit so much—Raelle and Abigail are the push and pull while Tally is the glue that won't let them go. The perfect trio.

Four days of training and having a routine changed when she walked in. The woman was enticing and intriguing, but it was the eyes that got Raelle from the start.

Sirens.

The reference to mermaids may be a bit cliché, but it's their style thing that popped in the blonde's head.

"Hi, I'm Scylla. Scylla Ramshorn," The woman with brunette hair and freckles introduced herself, holding a hand out for Raelle to shake.