Chapter Three: The Unexpected Intern: Part Three

"Hey," Allison says as she approaches Amelia and interrupts a conversation between her and the intern with the strawberry blonde hair. Hesitantly suddenly feeling nervous again, "umm... my name is Allison Shepherd. I am not on your service this month but I just wanted to meet you because neurosurgery is my dream at the moment. I'm on cardio this month," Allison blabbers on and on nervously. Finally after a moment of looking at each other, Amelia asks,"So I take it that you know who I am?"   "Yeah," Allison, still nervous says,"I mean yes, I know that your Dr. Amelia Shepherd, neurosurgeon and I also know that your brother Dr. Derek Shepherd is the head of neurosurgery." "And your last name is Shepherd also," Amelia says cutting into Allison's blabbering. "Yes," Allison with her nervousness showing,"yes it is." Allison notices the strawberry blonde haired girl still standing there, staring both of them seeming interested in their conversation. Amelia turns toward the strawberry blonde  haired girl and says,"Juliet right?" The girl nods her head. "Can I meet up with you later?" Amelia asks with a fake smile. "Sure Dr. Shepherd," Juliet says as she returns the smile and turns away looking around for a moment and then heads in the direction of Dr. Derek Shepherd.
     "Allison, do you know who I am?" Amelia asks quietly, cautiously looking around to see if anyone is listening in on their conversation. Allison looks around as well, feeling exactly what Amelia is feeling at this exact moment. Neither of them know what to do or say at this point.
     Fearful. Confident. Sadness. Happiness. Guilty. Innocent. Regretful. Welcome. Loss. Gain. Undecided. Certain. Shocked. Hopeful. Despair. And so many more emotions. More than anyone ordinary could ever have at one time flow through both Amelia and Allison. Now reunited. Both of them trying to find the right words to say, but nothing coming out of either of their mouths. They just look at each other for a long, long moment.
     While Amelia's question was useless, both of them knowing that. Both of them knowing who each other are, Allison finally gets the courage to speak,"Yes. Yes, I know who you are. Do you recognize me?" "Yes," Amelia says as soon as Allison finishes the question. Amelia, with a laugh in her throat, says,"We are going to have a lot to talk about aren't we Lissy?" She gives Allison a sad smile.

     Feeling shocked and a lot of anger that after all of these years of not even a phone call to Allison, she dare call her "Lissy"? Yes, Allison has missed that, a lot

     Feeling shocked and a lot of anger that after all of these years of not even a phone call to Allison, she dare call her "Lissy"? Yes, Allison has missed that, a lot. However, it is not okay, after thirteen years of not so much a word to her, to call her that nickname. Without even realizing the words coming out of her mouth, Allison says firmly,"Do not call me that. After thirteen years of not speaking to me at all, do not call me that. You said you were just going to work. You said you would see me as soon as you could. Was thirteen years a long enough time for you?" Allison rambles on and on unable to stop in raging anger that is so uncontrollable, and finally after a moment she realizes everyone's stares and gawks.
     Allison bolts.
     Running out of the meeting area, feeling more embarrassed than she ever had in her entire life, she enters the bathroom quickly. She shuts the door and realizes there is a lock so she locks it. She locks herself in and everyone else out. She slides her back down the bathroom door feeling unable to breathe. She starts sobbing and thinking about what she had just done.

     I am going to have to switch surgical intern programs, Allison thinks with a look of horror on her face

     I am going to have to switch surgical intern programs, Allison thinks with a look of horror on her face. After all of this work she has put into trying to get into this program, she just blew it with one conversation. Her first conversation with her biological Mother. She stands ups and goes over to the sink and looks at herself in the mirror. With a blood red face, tears stream down her face, streaks of mascara following. She puts both her hands on either sides of her cheeks and thinks, ohmygodohmygodohmygod what did I just do? Why did I do that? I ruined everything. I just embarrassed myself and Amelia and half the hospital probably knows about Amelia being my Mother. Allison sits on the floor quickly putting her head on her knees with her hands cupping her face and sobs and sobs for what feels like hours. How is she going to be able to go back out there and talk to any of those people now that she's outbursted like that back there?

 How is she going to be able to go back out there and talk to any of those people now that she's outbursted like that back there?

     Allison stays locked in the bathroom for what feels like hours. Hours of thinking over things. What had just happened. What she had just said. What Amelia had just said.
     Allison hears a bunch of people walking past outside which must mean that the meeting is over. Thank god, Allison thinks to herself as she takes a quick look in the mirror, wipes her face off, ridding of all of the now dried mascara streaking down her face, and heads to the intern locker room to get ready for her first day as a surgical intern, feeling a little better now that she has calmed down. However, she has no idea how she will be able to approach Amelia after this, especially if she has to be on her service soon. Allison thinks about having to be on her service eventually and shivers. Not wanting to think about this situation any longer, she goes back to reality and continues down the hall toward the locker room.