Chapter 3

Marc's pov

I scanned through the bookshelves of the school library. Fawn had gone to get some books for the project but I had a different book in mind. I was suprised with how many language books the school owned, not just French either. It was pretty predictable that they had English ones but the other languages were surprising. I smiled when I found a couple books on sign language near the end of the section. I picked them out, flicking through a couple pages of the thicker one. I guess both could work. I looked around me but didn't see anyone. I took the two books to the counter where the school librarian was. I placed them down. She looked over at the books, lowering her glasses with a surprised look. I pulled my hood up and fiddled with my hands. She must be judging me for sure. She made no comment and instead scanned the two books into the system and stamped them with the return dates. I nodded my head and pulled the books close. I turned around to find a table but tripped on my own feet and fell. I groaned, before pushing myself onto my knees. I had dropped the books and they had gone sliding across the floor. Something tapped my shoulder. I jumped, knocking my head against one of the nearby tables. I turned and saw Fawn kneeling down next to me, a hand extended slightly. She pulled her hand in and started signing something to me. I looked around and pulled one of the books towards me. I flicked through the pages in an attempt to find something about the signs she had used. Her face dropped and she got to her feet. I slammed the book shut.
"Sorry. I was just.... I'm not sure what you said" I mumbled, pulling on my fingers. She shrugs her shoulders and offers her hand. I take it and she pulls me to my feet. I look around, finding the other book and picking it up. I hold them both to my chest. Wait Fawn didn't have any books.
"Where are the books?" she gestures to a table that had a few books on it and her bag sat at one of the chairs. I nodded, approaching the desk. I put both books in my bag and pulled out a notebook and pen. Fawn sat next to me, picking up one of the books and putting it on the table between us. I read through the book, taking note of things that looked important. When I've flicked through everything we were supposed to, I turn to Fawn. She was staring down at her sheets which had writting on them. She was tapping her pen on the paper. I push my notebook closer and she looks up.
"I finished my notes if you want to look at them" I mumble. She pulls the notebook close, reading over what I'd written. She clicks her pen and writes something in the corner before pushing it towards me. I read it
'You have really nice handwriting' my cheeks heat up and I pull my hood over my eyes.
"I-its not that good" I object. I peak out one eye from my hood. Fawn was smiling, one hand pressed up to her mouth. I let go of the edge of my hood. She turns to look. She moves her hands in more signs. I still couldn't understand what she was saying but hopefully that would change soon. We kept working until we were made to leave so that the school could close for the night. I waved goodbye to Fawn and made my way back home. I settled down at my desk when I got back. Now was the decission, I could either work on the comic's story or work on leanring sign language. I gave it some thought. I had already did a lot of work on the comic and I didn't get the chance to show Nathaniel what I had today since I was showing Fawn around and working on the project. Sign language it was. I pulled out the books. The first thing I should probably learn is the alphabet. If all else fails, knowing the alphabet would be a good backing. Plus Fawn is clearly well versed in the language so she must know the alphabet. I flicked to the page that had the signs for the alphabet on it. I copied what was in the book and then tried doing it without looking to make sure I had it. I repeated this with each letter, going back a few times to make sure I remembered all of them. It took a long time but I had most of the letters down. I was a bit sticky with a couple but with some practise I could fix that. This would work out and I'd be able to communicate much better with Fawn. I just had to work at it.