Prelude: The Contract

Corin

Hi. I'm Corin. I'm glad that you're reading this, since this is my life's story. It's going to be a long and quite unusual story - well, my life has been extremely long and, yes, exceptionally unusual.

My previous life doesn't really matter much, so I'll spare you the details. But you've got to know how this all started, simply to understand how this could ever happen to me.

From your point of view, as a reader from the 21st century, my world must seem like a super wonderland, like some utopia. You see, we've long solved the mystery of energy. We can create as much energy as we'd ever need. And this has a profound impact on how we live. I imagine that you already know that, given enough energy, you can create virtually every object you'd ever want. Any material, no matter how rare or special it is, can be synthesized and any object, product or will be created for you if you ask for it.

There is no poverty in my world anymore, no need to work, no desire for things and almost no suffering. Almost? Well, yes of course. We humans are what we are. So even though we don't have to work to have a nice life, there's still reputation, influence and power. People still like to be loved, to be admired or to be feared. So even with all our achievements, our world isn't really all that different from the one you know.

There are still those people in charge and then there's the rest of us. Because the one thing that you cannot create with energy is the willingness of some other person to do something for you. Usually, if you want somebody else to do something for you, you've got to pay him. Yes, there's still money, even though no one needs to work for his outcome. It's called credits and it's completely virtual of course. If you do something which is worthwhile to any other person, you're payed with credits. If you do something which is worthwhile for many people, you get loads of credits. That includes art, science, inventions, stories, and so on. And all kinds of personal services, things that cannot simply be done by machines and computers. Most prominent is the service of a personal relation. With all these computers, automatons and machines around us, the one thing we lack is interaction with a real human being. Yes, of course, people still have friends, they still love, and even have children, but there are those who just don't seem to be able to connect to other, breathing human beings.

And that's me. Sad, isn't it? In all my life, I wasn't able to create any kind of bond with anyone. Not as a child, not as a youth and now, that I had reached adulthood, I was still untouched and without any real friends. I just couldn't get myself to do anything about that, anything to change my life, to get something good out of it. And of course, that also means that I never did anything that would earn me any credits, so even though I could get almost anything I could ever imagine, I was what you'd call a poor sod in my world.

So, I spent most of my time trying to satisfy my need for sexual satisfaction. And I had got a lot of need for sex. It's like a joke fate had played on me, giving me this enormous sex drive but no social skill to ever get anyone to share it with. There were, of course, great contraptions to play with. All kinds of sex robots, of sex machines, lifelike or completely strange, even androids who mimic human beings with an incredible accuracy. I had tried them all. But in the end, they left me empty, they were still just machines, they lack any form of human passion, any humanity at all.

Once again I was sitting at home in front of my huge display browsing through all the available devices and offerings. I was browsing through the holoprojections of male sex bots of all kinds, all of them having unearthly good looks, but I knew that all of them were just as boring as the sex bot that was kneeling before me and was busy sucking my dick right at this moment. "Stop it, this is getting me nowhere", I sighed. The sex bot stopped and without saying anything it stood up, gave me the same friendly smile as always and asked in its gentle, pleasing voice "Is there anything else I can do for you? A massage? A fuck maybe?". "No, thanks. It's the same as always. I don't need a machine, I need ... well, I don't know. Just go to the charger and leave me alone!". The bot silently turned around and stood in its alcove where it closed its eyes and froze still.