"beat them to the punch"

chapter fifty-one: beat them to the punch

this is once again a luke-less chapteri am so deeply sorry

i am so deeply sorry

FRIDAY NIGHT. "And here's your drink, m'lady." Handing Madalyn her half of the mixed drink I had just made, I spoke to her in a posh accent before bursting into giggles. It was around nine-thirty and everyone had been over since around seven-thirty. I had wanted the night to start earlier, but Jenna had a mandatory evening study session that went until seven, so we opted for a later start.

As a group, we had made no prior plans, so we spent at least an hour brainstorming things we wanted to do as the night went on. We ended up ordering pizza around eight-thirty, and the majority of us were just now finished eating. I had wanted to wait until everyone had a drink before telling them the news.

"Katey, you're not drinking?" Danny asked as he walked back into the room. He had been with me making drinks for everyone, but Kate had never asked for one.

"I'm indecisive," she told him, scrunching up her nose. "Not about whether I want to drink, but about what to drink."

"How much trust do you have in me?" Danny asked her which caused me to snicker. The group was still in the process of accepting Kate as their own; Emma had only just seemed to finally sink into her spot among us.

"All the trust in the world, big guy." Danny shot her a smile before leaving the room once again.

"Bad idea," Jenna joked once Danny was out of the room. "You're about to get the strongest drink you've ever had."

"Honestly? Sounds great," Kate told her, sending us all into a fit of laughter.

"Once Danny gets back in here, I have something to tell you all," I told the group, acting casual, but successfully gained everyone's attention. I looked across the room at Emma and sent her a wink, which made her smile.

"Ew, Jo, that made a shiver go down my spine," Jenna whined, grabbing a pillow and hugging it into her chest. "Everything's okay, right?"

"Does anything seem to be the matter?" I asked her and received a glare. "Everything's fine! I just have some news, is all."

"News?" Danny asked, making his way back into the room in record time.

"Geez, babe, did you make sure that was consumable?" Jenna asked him, seeming concerned at how little time had gone into making it.

"How dare you question me," he joked through a gasp as he handed Kate the drink. "It's a Danny special."

"You did not just make her an Old Dan?" As the words left Howie's mouth, I watched Danny break into a grin.

"What is it?" Kate asked in fear.

"It's rum, whiskey, and coffee liqueur—it's good!" Danny answered, sounding passionate and sure. "It's all I would drink my first year of college. Josie used to love them."