"you want some company?"

chapter forty-four: you want some company?

no luke in this chap </3

WEDNESDAY EVENING. It was only Wednesday, but this week had already entered the competition of being the longest of my life. Not only had school felt slow, but so had work. There wasn't anything particularly exciting going on and it didn't help that Luke hadn't been able to talk as much as usual. We'd been texting as often as we could, but we had yet to find a time to call.

Hoping my luck would change, I decided to try and call Luke. I hated bothering him, but he always told me that he'd rather me try and call than give up altogether. After several rings, the call went to voicemail and I hung up. I walked downstairs and sat on the couch before trying one more time, just in case.

I wasn't even sure what I would say if he answered, because I didn't have anything to tell him. Merely hearing his voice would be a comfort, which I craved.

Not surprisingly, the call went to voicemail once again. I left him a silly voicemail, eventually ending it by saying I loved him.

After setting my phone down beside me, I turned the television on and grabbed my laptop from the coffee table in front of me. I turned on an episode of a show I'd seen about a thousand times before looking through an article that had been sent to me for edits.

An hour passed surprisingly quickly and I decided that I would try to call Luke one last time before giving up for the night. I brought my phone to my ear as it rang and let my head fall back against the cushion as my eyes closed. By the time the call got to the fourth ring, I decided it was time to stop bothering him so I ended the call.

I checked some missed texts after ending the call and I smiled as an idea popped in my head. After pressing on her contact, I called Madalyn and hoped she would answer.

"Hey, you!" Madalyn answered cheerily. "I was just about to give you a call. You weren't answering my texts."

"I was editing," I told her through a quiet laugh. "To answer your question, Howie seems like a forest green—and you're like a light magenta. Or even a dusty pink, but a little less dull?" For some reason, Madalyn had texted me asking what colors she thought represented her and Howie.

She was always texting me random things like that.

"Whoa... you're kind of right," Madalyn responded, sounding dumbfounded, which caused me to laugh. "Howie was trying to argue that he's a deep red color which is so wrong."

"Maddy—where did this even come from?" I asked her as I began to laugh, finding her serious tone amusing.

"It's a long story that's pointless," she admitted which only amused me more. "I greatly appreciate your insight, though. I think it's the most accurate."