chapter 2

It had been a week since you got your vision, and so far, it had been HORRIBLE. You couldn't do anything without getting wet, and Rosaria's training sessions became much more brutal. You and her had been training in Windrise for the past week, every day- raising up the bill on drinks in the Angel's Share. You didn't mind much, of course- Rosaria had set aside many of her duties to help you, (although you were sure she secretly was making you help her out with them- who fights treasure hoarders for training?) and repaying the favor was only what was right. But the bill... you glanced over at Venti. You were in the Angel's Share, after a long day of training. Venti was a few seats away from you, staring into his mug of dandelion wine. He probably couldn't afford it. You looked back into your own glass, guilt twisting into your stomach. He had been so sad after that outing to Windrise, like a plan or adventure had gone wrong. Like he had failed at something. Your throat tightened. You felt so selfish for wondering, 'why couldn't he be happy for you?' even though it should be the other way around. Not wanting to say the wrong thing, you'd been avoiding him, but maybe you shouldn't. Your best friend needed you. Setting aside the wine, you walked over to your friend.

"Venti? Hey.. are you okay?" He looked up at you, and then away. "Yeah. Why do you ask?" His voice had a hard edge to it, and it struck your heart like shards of glass. "Oh, sorry. I just thought... at Windrise..." You clenched your fists. "If you don't want me to have the vision, just say it. I'll get rid of it. I don't care about using water- I care about you. You're my best friend." He clenched his glass as you delivered the last line. "No, no... it's not that. I was just.. Thinking! I saw this wonderful cape the other day, and I thought maybe we could match!" You backed up a bit, startled by his quick mood change. He had been sad a moment before. Like he needed closure. What motivated him to change? "Uh.. yeah. But-" "Hm? Is something wrong, S/O?" Yes. Something was very wrong. If Venti had taken notice, he would've seen you staring at that store's display. Asking about that outfit. For the past month, you had been saving for it. And you almost had enough. But in a week, the outfit would be gone. Sold to someone else. You couldn't spend the mora on something else.. Something you didn't want. But Venti... "Uh, no. Why don't we go get it tomorrow afternoon?" The bard's eyes lit up. "Hooray! I can't wait!!" He returned to sipping on his dandelion wine. Right. How could you deny him the pleasure, when he looked so happy? Best friend first, outfit later. You would probably be able to get the mora back. Probably. You turned, looking distastefully at your own drink. Maybe a good night's sleep would clear your head. Exiting the Angel's Share, you could feel Venti's stare burning into the back of your head.

You woke up with a headache and sweat soaking the back of your neck. Sleep had come easily to you, thankfully, but you still felt like garbage. Usually, you didn't want to spend so much mora, but... you'd earn it back at the Adventurers Guild later. After all, you hadn't finished your drink last night. A good mug of dandelion wine would clear your head. Still feeling foggy, you began your routine of getting washed and dressed before exiting your home.

Venti was nowhere to be seen, as you walked out by the fountain. Merchants called, and wind ruffled your hair, and the melodious voices of bards whispered out in the wind. Bards. Never could escape them. At one point, Venti had tried to convince you to sing with him. You objected, somewhat afraid at the idea of spending all your time with him, although you couldn't tell why. Opening the door to the tavern, you took one last glance at the sun, slowly climbing up to its place in the sky. Your stomach churned. Would you even be able to afford the attire you wanted, after buying that cape? And why couldn't Venti understand? Or.. why couldn't you tell him? The feeling of dread sinking into your stomach pushed you to enter the tavern.

Only Kaeya, Diluc, and a couple other knights were in the tavern. It was quite early, after all. You walked over to your usual seat, waving hello to a few of the people you knew. "Morning, Diluc." You settled onto the stool. "A cup of dandelion wine, please. Smallest you got." He looked up at you, previously focused on sorting out a few mugs. "Still focused on buying that outfit?" You nodded. "You should tell Venti." He said, quite bluntly. Diluc pushed the wine across the counter to you, and you hesitantly took a sip. "I can't. I don't want him to be sad, and I can easily earn the mora back." You set the mug down, having drained it to the last few drops. "How much do I owe you?" Diluc shook his head. "Take it. You earned the break." You nodded in thanks, lifting yourself off the seat. "Hurgh... Thanks, Diluc. I'll be off now." You exit the tavern, hearing one last snippet of conversation between brothers. "Why don't you ever give ME free wine, brother?" "Because I hate you."

Venti was waiting for you by the fountain, strumming his lyre. "Oh, a tune, a tune, for whose winds I love sooo~!" A small crowd of people was surrounding him, listening in. Your eyes narrowed. Why plan a date, when all he would do is attract other people? "My love for you, it ever need know~~ Oh, S/O!" He smiled, radiating sunshine as he saw you. "Are you ready to go buy the cape?" He linked arms with you. The crowd dispersed, but you could hear whispers of romance. Was that really what he intended? Your stomach clenched. "Alright... let's go." Walking away, you felt much different next to the bard than normal.

In the end, you did not have enough mora to buy the outfit you wanted.