VISION WRITING BLOG #002

Catching a Director's Eye

Knowing the difference between what Director sees and what the Producer sees is the first step to selling your spec script. Write with an understanding for their perspectives. Everyone wants an easy read that captures the imagination in vivid imagery, especially Producers. But they aren't just reading a great story. It must be a "do-able" story. In other words, is it affordable for the budgets this producer works with. If you're just starting out, writing a phenomenal story that takes place in a dramatically enticing burning sky scraper might sound compelling. But in reality, unless you are working for Paramount or the like, you are scuttling yourself. Everyone must pay their dues. I hate that saying because it felt like people were dismissing me and my talent. But this means more than just pounding the pavement. Paying your dues is earning street smarts in the industry.

A smart author writes for the people he knows will read his script. We all start out as indie's, and climb the ladder based on which of our stories makes it to the screen. The best way to get noticed is to have a script that can actually be realistically shot with a limited budget. A script that's easy to make and yet tells a powerful story is the best way to get noticed in the industry.

Start with compelling stories that are simple to shoot. Equally important, is a rudimentary knowledge of production. If you know the buzz words and understand the physical labor involved in a production, then you have a common language and are more likely to impress. Additionally, you should be able to write to two target markets: 1) the public. 2) the purchaser. #2 is most important because you must get your script made into a movie for the public to see it. This means a screenplay that is easy to produce, yet is powerfully compelling.

Like what you read? Checkout my work at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/SWatsonMaher