VISION WRITING BLOG #003

The principle of contrast and affinity. This is a important principle that all master filmmakers master. As a writer, you should master them too, as doing so makes your writing more colorful and visual. These tips also entail writing for beginner indie writers wanting to break into the indie film industry. Here's what I learned kicking around in the trenches over the years.

Design a story that can be told in simple terms and yet be shot inexpensively. Example: in a nice psych thriller, many scenes can be shot at night (in script) and with few actors (2 to 4 max) with discussions and reveals taking place in intimate scenes. Then save the money shots for the catalyst event, mid-twist and story climax. Not only does this make sure your money shots are used wisely, it creates excellent contrast and affinity. In other words, if there is much dialogue and suspense broken up by a few powerful action scenes, each lends power to the other. The dramatic scenes will take on more intrigue and the action scenes will be more powerful because they're juxtaposed. It's the principal of contrast and affinity. Choose venues or scene settings that need locations which are easy to access, affordable, safe and can easily be substituted within a story. Example: if a scene takes place in a farmer's corn field and you don't have one nearby, choose a wheat field instead, or even a forest as long as the story idea remains same. Create scenes that can be shot in natural daylight Create scenes that are powerful, suspenseful and intense but with 2 to 3 characters. Juxtapose a few select action scenes among dramatic elements. A movie with characters trapped in a house may have much suspense about where the "monster hides" as the characters move from one room to the next. But when the monster appears, that is the action and money shots. Avoid big movie stories in your career infancy. Building on fire will be too expensive to shoot if you're just starting out. You need this time in the early days to forge relationships with producers and directors who like you and your stories. To do this, you need a story they can afford to shoot as beginners. Don't "write a script for a star". You should be able to stand on the merits of the story with ordinary actors. If your story is powerful, it will speak for itself and any actor who's a master of their craft will be interested.

Like what you read. Check out my work. http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/SWatsonMaher