Chapter 22: Finally, After an Entire Day- the Mochi

XD  guys I just realized something-  SAO lasted 4 years and not two.    oajniegkwebopwaincifhwogewnfipwnjhibwerjwnflkm

whatever.  let's just say that the combined efforts of all the front-liners made the clear 2x as fast because Diavel survived, Kirito didn't waste time with Sachi, and Izuku was solo-killing bosses.  Also excuse any typos because I'm writing this without my glasses because acne masks. oof

Izuku left the villa shaking.  He just couldn't stop thinking.  Thinking about the lives he could've saved if he was just a bit faster, the lives that were lost because he wasn't there-  the lives lost directly because of him.  Normally, people would avoid the things that put them through trauma.  Like cars if you get into an accident.  Lakes or beaches if you've almost drowned.  Izuku just couldn't avoid SAO.  It was all the news talked about, everything people cared about.  Even just in the shopping center outside the train station was playing the news on SAO, this time featuring his livestream of all things that hadn't even concluded fifteen minutes ago.

He tapped his card on the side of the gate, only for it to be denied.

Izuku sighed, pocketing the card once more.  "Looks like I'm out of credit.  It's to be expected after going unused for two years."

He looked around the station, scanning the area for the stations to refill his card- what are they called?  He had forgotten after not seeing a single one in his two years of monster killing.  He strolled over to one kiosk and inserted his metro card.  The machine prompted him to either add cash or credit, and he inserted his credit card*.  The transfer went through successfully much to his surprise, as he also expected that to have expired as well.  He transferred around ¥100,000 to the card.

"Probably enough to cover the expenses for rides and snacks for the next year."  he mused, looking forward to going back to school for the first time ever since Academy City.

All these thoughts of the upcoming schoolyear made him realize something.  In his rush to leave the Yuuki household, he had forgotten to awaken Asuna's system.

"Ah, it doesn't matter.  I'll run into her with Kirito sometime in the future.  All the more chances to see Yui again, no?"  Izuku muttered, finalizing the transaction.  He shoved both cards into his pocket after making sure the machine went back to the screen it had displayed when he first used it.

He tapped his pass at the gate and this time, it let him through.  He boarded the next train, sitting down in one of the empty plastic seats.  The train was mostly empty, as it was later in the evening and everyone had already gotten home.  This gave Izuku an entire segment of chair space to himself.

"Please stand clear of the closing doors.  Next stop- Kodai** station."  A mechanical feminine voice rang out through the train car, and the passengers sat mostly in silence.

If these were during his days in late primary, he would've gotten off, then walked around a half mile to the Yagi household, a cold boba tea in one hand, and a bag of yakitori in the other, as today was Friday, the only day he had allowed himself to do this.

Lost in thoughts about the past, he almost missed his own stop, luckily getting off right before the doors closed.  He tapped his card at the scanner near the doors and got off the train, headed back towards yet another convenience store.  He quickly prayed that nothing stupid would happen this time, because he was starting to think that he spread a curse among small shops.  Luckily it didn't happen, and he was able to get in and out quickly with a strawberry mochi without any issues.

He bought another milk tea for himself, and strolled back to the apartment complex.  He entered the elevator, keeping a firm grip on the icy drink making sure it didn't slip out of his hands.  He reached his apartment door and struggled to open the door while juggling the drink and mochi without dropping either, but luckily he didn't have to because Stella was waiting on the other side of the door expecting these shenanigans.