Chapter 2: Serafin's Candy Parlor

I was "preppy" once. Well, kind of. My grandparents on Mom's side are extremely wealthy. At least, they were. My grandfather died soon after the marriage. Nanna died when I was 13. Mom was healing, but the death of her mother hit her hard. She almost relapsed, and would have if I hadn't talked some sense into her and hid her purse. Anyway, before the divorce, the three of us lived in a gorgeous two-story brick house with deep green shutters. A stone pathway lead up the brick stairs into the porch, and the white front door was bordered on either side with long windows. I loved that house; the kitchen was state of the art, high ceilings, stone fireplaces, Persian rugs, expensive art... Like I said, Mom prefers the finer things in life. So, I attended a private academy from first to third grade. We all wore little maroon and khaki uniforms. I had friends. No one was mean, but it was the little leagues; what can I say? That was the time I was a kid. I was still only 8 when we moved, but I had to grow up fast then. I changed. There was no time for Barbies and The Powerpuff Girls. Mom needed me. 

     After a particularly vicious day at school in the fifth grade (Ashley was in a positively exuberant mood), I didn't go straight home. Instead, I decided to wander around. I found Serafin's Candy Parlor that I had seen on the way to school one day. The candy shop was magnificent. It had giant peanut butter cups, sour Twizzlers, fudge, every color of M&M imaginable, rock candy, you name it. There were two boys in front of the counter, laughing. The young woman behind the counter took off her headphones, lowered her issue of People and asked them if they wanted anything in an annoyed voice.

     I heard the tall, scrawny one with a dirty snapback reply, "You'd like that wouldn't you?" He loudly kicked his skateboard up into his hand and raised an eyebrow at her. The girl scoffed. The second boy, a short, portly one with a cardboard crown on his head muttered something to the other and they laughed.

     I quietly stepped up to the counter and asked for five dollars worth of blue gummy sharks, my favorite. She gave me a brown paper bag after weighing it, and I handed her the bill. "Keep the change," I said softly, and hurried back home.

     I came back two weeks later, but this time the boy with the snapback was alone except for his skateboard. I walked in again, pretending to check out all of the candy. He was in the same spot, talking to the same college-aged girl behind the counter. "You don't have to tell the stupid boss, c'mon Cassie, I've been faithful. I've been here for three weeks to talk to you! Don't you enjoy my company?" The boy threw a devilish grin in her direction. "My favorites are Sour Patch Kids, you know."

     "Guy, do you not understand that there are cameras? I could call the cops. You're lucky you're a little kid. Where are your parents anyway?" Cassie leaned forward on the counter with both hands. She snapped her gum.

     The boy kicked up his skateboard and walked over to face Cassie. "Jake. My name is Jake," he held out a paint covered hand. Cassie shook it. "Who cares where my parents are? They sure don't care where I am." His nose twitched. "At least my skatey cares about Jakey. Don't you?" He said in a baby voice as he stroked the trucks. I envied him for his board. I'd walked by a skate park many times, and had desperately wanted to try.

     I strode back up to the cashier and asked for the sharks. As Cassie got them, I looked at Jake and said with a tiny smile, "I really like your skateboard. It's cool." He looked up from the deck he was picking dirt off of. 

     "Thanks, you skate too?" He looked genuinely interested, like I just told him that I'd discovered a new planet.

     "I... I don't, but I really want to learn. I pass the skate park every time I go to school..." My voice faded. His eyes were unmerciful. 

     Suddenly, he thrust his board at me. "Here. Practice every day. Can you meet me here in two weeks time after school?" I was stunned. He'd just indirectly told me that his board was his prized possession, and now he was telling me to take it? My arm involuntarily moved to take the board and I nodded. "Cool. See you later... Uh?" I hadn't even told him my name.

     "V- Victoria." He nodded and smiled at me and left. 

      "Five bucks... Please." I turned around. Cassie was looked shocked. She robotically placed the bag on the counter, and I put the 5 in her hand. "He must really like you. He just... He's brought that skateboard with him every day, never let it out of his sight. Wow." I was a happy girl that afternoon, and practiced with every fiber of my eleven year old being until two weeks later.