Party Pooper

France, Oregon

12:14 PM, Tuesday, January 24th, 2023

Patty and Tess rang the bell at France Retirement Village.

"We're here to see Fred Stavridis," Patty told the receptionist.

The women had actually met Fred a few times before, but now, with the new information they learned the previous day, they just had to talk to him. So they called him up from the number they found in Murray's address book.

Just minutes later, they were sitting in the fireplace lounge of the village clubhouse. Fred's eyes watered a little bit as he held Murray's diary. Some memories were coming back to surface.

"Do you need some time?" asked Patty. "I can ask my questions later, if you'd like."

"No, no," said Fred.

He put the diary down on the table and wiped his glasses before continuing.

"I'm still in shock about his death. I'm the older one, after all, I thought I would die first."

"Let's not go there, please," said Patty.

"I guess I should start with the obvious. Murray was still closeted. even ten years after his wife died. Don't get me wrong, Helen was a lovely woman, and I know your grandpa loved her. But I was one of the few people who knew he's bi."

"Why didn't he tell us? I mean, for God's sake, he was the first relative I outed myself to."

Fred chuckled. "I know. He told me. He was very proud of you. But he still chose to stay closeted, because that's just what he wanted. So I didn't push him on the matter; it was his business."

"That's a good point," said Tess.

Patty sighed. "Fine. I still want to know more, though."

"How much much have you read so far?" Fred asked her.

"Just before you started your senior year."

"Ah, yes. Senior year. Murray didn't want me to leave him, but I still had things to figure out."

DeleteCreated with Sketch.

7:32 PM, Tuesday, September 2nd, 1952

Fred and Murray were once again subject to a parent-run birthday party, despite their protests.

The Newmans had put together a small house party for the two, setting up a barbecue dinner in the backyard. The baseball team and some other students from France High came over and had a dinner of burgers and salad, followed by strawberry cake.

The party had been very dull at first. However, the Newmans were invited by one of the other kids' parents for drinks across the street. After the adults were gone, things loosened up a bit at the party.

Fred's friend Justin Allison pulled him into the empty mudroom while everyone else was scattered about the backyard and the lower floor.

"All right," said Justin, "You've been staring at him all night."

"I have not!" said Fred, defensively.

When it wasn't Baseball season, Fred chose to do theater instead of other sports. That's where he met Justin, his second-best friend.

Justin was... unique amongst the student body. He was never into traditionally male activities, and he was very preppy when it came to fashion. When he met Fred, Justin could tell right away that they shared a similar secret: they were both gay.

"Please, brother, you were almost drooling when he wiped that frosting off of your chin."

Fred sighed as he looked out the window towards Murray, who was laughing with his teammates from the baseball team.