Trick or Twist

4:10 PM, Friday, October 31st, 1952

France, Oregon

Murray was in his bedroom, preparing some final touches on his costume, when his older brother, Alex, came in... and stuck his wet finger in Murray's ear.

"Gross!" Murray shouted, smacking Alex's hand away.

"Trick or treat, you little twerp!" Alex snickered, pulling the younger boy into an aggressive nookie.

Murray grabbed Alex's arm, and threw him to the floor, pinning him down underneath him.

"I hate you!" Murray shouted.

"Get off of me!" Alex growled.

"DAAAAD!" They both hollered.

General Michael Newman, a decorated WWII hero and respected local businessman, came into the room, pulling Murray off of Alex.

"Alexander, for God's sake, leave your brother alone, " he said.

Alex got up to retort, but Gen. Newman gave him the stink-eye. The older boy sulked out.

"That kid," said Gen. Newman, "I don't know what to do with him."

"You know he's just going to fly off to Jill's house again," said Murray.

"Over my dead body. That girl is bad news."

"Don't say that to him, it'll just send him there faster."

Gen. Newman chuckled dryly. "Ain't that the the truth?"

Meanwhile, Justin had come over to Fred's house to get ready for the Halloween party.

"Hey," said Justin, coming into the living room. "You home alone?"

"You surprised?" Fred asked back.

Fred's parents were barely home, with work and their social life taking up a lot of time, and his siblings were all away at college, so Fred was often home alone.

"Well, that just means more privacy for us," Justin remarked.

Justin followed Fred into his room, and laid his costume bag out on the bed.

"So," Justin continued. "Why aren't you getting ready with Murray? I would've thought you'd like to watch him-"

"He's not coming," Fred interrupted. "I know, you're going to make the jokes, but I'm taking what you said seriously. I told him to get ready at his place, and that we'd meet out front at five to go to the party."

"Well! You are moving on. I know it's not easy, but it has to be done, my friend."

"Of course it's not easy. Murray is so cute!"

Justin pulled Fred's face in his direction.

"That may be," Justin stated, "but stay focused."

"Ow," Fred moaned, with Justin's hand still squishing his face.

"Sorry," Justin said as he let go. "But don't let him turn you into a goof tonight. It's our senior year. We earned this party."

"Yup."

Justin looked back at Fred.

"Hey Fred, can I ask you something?"

4:45 PM, Tuesday, January 24th, 2023

Patty and Tess had left Fred a couple of hours prior so they could work on the house a little more, but later the afternoon, Patty returned to the retirement village. Fred wanted her to meet an old friend.