When Ben feels especially important

The ceremony always seemed to be Ben's moment of great importance. As president of Jamestown's leading council, he and Chief Powhatan began any gathering by greeting each other. Thomas, on the walks to the Powhatan village, always walked between Ben and Lon with each of them holding one of his hands. It'd always made Thomas feel a bit small, but it was always nice. When they arrived, Chief Powhatan and the rest of the tribe would be waiting. Ben and Chief Powhatan always greeted each other first, first in Powhatan then English. Afterwards, Thomas and Nakoma would find each other and sit near the cornfield and talk about important things.

Today, Thomas decided to swear Nakoma to secrecy about the swing, "We still don't know who built it," he explained to her, "we can't tell everyone until we know who." Nakoma nodded her agreement. Thomas had to explain exactly what a swing is, but they soon slipped off to it.

Upon showing it to her, he motioned for her to sit down, "May I?" Nakoma nodded and sat down. Thomas pushed her on it for quite some time and they both found themselves laughing and enjoying themselves more every minute.

After an hour, the two heard Ben and Lon calling for them. Thomas quickly answered back, "Coming!" Nakoma dragged her feet to stop, Thomas helped her off, and they both ran quickly to the callers. Ben and Lon smiled and gave the two youths each a pinch on the cheek, "You two running off again?" The two giggled, but Ben and Lon didn't wait for an answer. Lon pointed to Thomas, "You need to get ready for bed," he turned to Nakoma, "and, if you want, Nakoma, Chief Powhatan said you could come over to Jamestown for a bedtime story." Nakoma nodded, "Oh, of course. You tell Thomas wonderful stories." Lon blushed modestly under his thick red beard which had gotten a bit thicker than usual.

As they walked towards Jamestown, Thomas and Nakoma put hands to their cheeks when Ben and Lon weren't looking, "They did it kind of hard, didn't they?" Thomas whispered as softly as he could. Nakoma nodded, "They did...but I loved it."

"Me, too."