# 43

[

F O R T Y - T H R E E ]

- - ⚜️ - -

Darshan watched as his mother lay on the bed, asleep. Just a few hours ago she got discharged from hospital. Her breathing was steady, chest rising up and then going down rhythmically. He noticed how her face had changed in these two months. She looked more older. Creases formed on her forehead, the wrinkles and few grey hairs, all an early signs of aging. Somewhere seeing her like this, made his heart ache. Just like a child scared to loose his parent, the realisation of his mother aging, made him shiver at the thought of loosing her.

His mother was one for surprises, each day a multitude of tiny things... how they made him smile from toe to lips. Which hand was his cookie in? She would guess it right, every time. Which way would he walk to school, would be splashing in puddles or leaping over? It was so fun, all those everyday adventures... She would get excited at seeing a simple flower or the way the light played upon the path. In a life so ordinary it was her that was extraordinary, not because she was given so much, yet because she made it that way. He always believed that as God turns seed and water to flower, his mother turned the mundane into fascination and love; she was his heaven, his superhero.

She was strong enough to have survived the heart attack. But her body couldn't hide the pain and exhaustion. Darshan stood up to pick the tray that the house helper had left a while ago. Taking the glass of water and the tablet, he sat next to his mother. "Maa." He said, tapping on her shoulder lightly. Placing a pillow behind her, he made her sit comfortably.

" Listen, Toranto ki 2 flights dikha raha hai. One in the afternoon around three and the other one in the evening. Kaunsi book karun?" Ishita walked inside the room, her eyes glued on the phone screen.

" Who's going?" Darshan asked dumbly. He kept the empty glass on the table beside.

"You doofus... It's been three days. You must be missing onto your lectures." Ishita sat on the bean bag, next to him.

"Haan Darshan, Ishita is right. You should go back, I don't want you to waste your study time. Waise bhi I'm better now." Mrs. Raval said softly.

Darshan smiled at her. He wanted to tell her that he feared that if he left, he might not be able to see her again. He was scared of loosing her. He wanted to hear an assurance from her, a promise of never leaving them. Instead he just placed his head on his mother's shoulder, holding her hand.

" You don't worry about me missing my lectures. Setting hai apni." He said to Ishita. Turning to his mother, he replied," And Maa, Abhi toh aya hoon. I want to spend some time with you, take care of you till the time your reports don't show you are fit. Warna responsible child ka credit aapki beti le jayegi phirse."

Ishita opened her mouth to argue but closed seeing their dad approaching. Standing at the door, his voice boomed, " There are people who can take care of Rajal more responsibly than you. Besides we don't have a place for the one's who run away, leaving their family. For what? Yah fulfilling their dreams." The sarcastic chuckle at the end made Darshan clench his fist tightly. Lowering his head down, he walked out of the room.

• •

Ishita slumped at the breakfast table, her brows creased and face tense. When Darshan sat, coffee in hand, he asked "What's up?" her tone casual and light.

" Nothing, just looking at Maa's Reports. Unka cholesterol level high hai. I was thinking of hiring a nutritionist for her. What say?" She looked up from the grey file.