n i n e

By the time Elliot had recovered from laughing, Anakin was already over it. He didn't need to know the answers if he was going to be chastised for his questions.

"Forget it," Anakin said, rolling his eyes and beginning to gather the clothes he would sleep in.

"Awww come on Skywalker," Elliot said with a whine. "It's just a funny thing to ask is all."

"Why is it funny? I don't get it. The Jedi forbid us from it, wouldn't you be curious, too?"

"I guess I am, but I think I've just accepted that it is out of the question for us."

"It shouldn't be. It's ridiculous, the way that they control us," Anakin said, crossing his arms.

"Woah there," Elliot said, standing up. "I'm all for breaking rules about alcohol, curfew, and gambling, but you're starting to sound a little rogue. It's for the best, you know? Force-sensitive people have done horrible things in the past. The rules help us to stay in control of ourselves and benefit society as a whole."

"Fair enough," Anakin said. "I'm going to call it a night El. I'll see you tomorrow?" He asked, opening the door for him.

"Alright," Elliot said dejectedly. "See you tomorrow Skywalker."

---

Anakin couldn't sleep most of the night. The Jedi had done nothing but hurt him. Maybe if he wasn't so controlled, he wouldn't have these episodes. Maybe if he wasn't forced to live in this shoebox and train every day he wouldn't have done what he did to Obi.

Anakin found himself tossing and turning most of the night until at last he spotted the sunlight from his window begin to appear. Maybe Obi would be coming to visit him today. Anakin should make sure he didn't look like he was falling apart at the seams. He needed to appear as if he could handle himself.

He sat expectantly in his room until the early afternoon going over his assigned readings on the history of Jedi. Even though he thought it was complete bullshit, he thought that his master would think fondly of him actually doing his work for once.

By the time lunch rolled around, Obi-wan was still nowhere to be found. Dejected, Anakin headed to the cafeteria, knocking on Elliot's door as he made his way there.

"Master Obi-wan back yet?" Elliot asked excitedly, his head peeking outside of the door.

"No," Anakin said. "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Understood," Elliot said, walking out into the hallway and locking the door behind him. "Hey, about last night-"

"It's really no big deal," Anakin said, cutting him off and started to walk onward. "I completely overreacted. I think I was just tired is all."

"I really shouldn't have laughed though," Elliot said, sincerity in his eyes. "It's a valid question, I just got all giggly from the alcohol. If I knew anything at all about...that, I'd tell you. It's just that I don't, and I guess I've never even questioned it before."

Anakin nodded, not really wanting this conversation to continue, let alone in a public place.

"Now you've got me questioning everything Skywalker, so thanks for that," Elliot said, nudging Anakin.

"That's what I do best, I suppose," Anakin said solemnly. "Making others question their beliefs or commitments."