Chapter 8: Escape

As Travis opens the door, Sonic quickly made a spin dash towards him made it out of the room. Knuckles ran and punched through whoever was in his way. They need to find Grace and Stella first. The two boys ran back to their room where they always stayed to find Stella, but when they got in, they heard a small sobbing coming from it. They opened the door to see what had happened. Grace was sitting on one of the beds holding something close to her. Her face was wet from crying. "Grace what happened?" Knuckles asked sympathetically. Grace looked at them and tried to say the words, but they were too hard to say. "Where's Stella..." Sonic slowed down when he see something pale in Grace's embrace. It looked like it wasn't breathing. It was Stella. Her eyes were closed, and she is not moving at all. She is dead.

"What? No..." Knuckles' voice shook as he realized what had happened. "The different serums they put in her, one of them killed her." said Grace with her tears coming down. Sonic walked up to her and took Stella into his arms. She was so small, so innocent. What kind of monster would do this to her? She would never get a chance to experience life, but no. Her life had to end because of a stupid injection. Sonic hugged her tightly. The poor baby. She was just an infant. Knuckles grew angry and punched the  wall next to him. Sonic's startled gaze faced him when he heard that loud smash Knuckles had caused. "Why her?! Why now?!" Knuckles merely yells as he choked back tears.

"How sad isn't it?" A voice came from the door. Sonic clenched his teeth as he found out who it was. "She was a good subject. It was too bad one the injections from her experiment killed her off like that." Dr. Statham said whil looking at Stella. "How can you do this to her?!" Sonic yells, "she was just a kid!" "She was our greatest achievement. She didn't die in vain." Dr. Statham said. Knuckles' fists tightens and his voice became low and dark. "No she didn't. She died because of you!" As Knuckles charged at the doctor, Pac was right there beside him to give him a good punch in the face. Knuckles flew back to the wall and fell onto the floor. Dr. Statham laughed evily before he can say something else. "Since you won't cooperate with us anymore, you are useless to us." Right when he leaves, Pac and Travis was ready to get a hold of Sonic until Knuckles ran in front of him for defence. "I'm not letting to near any of them." Sonic became surprised. Since when did Knuckles became so protective of him? Not that he was making a joke out of it. For a long time, he and Knuckles had became good friends. They would always goof off together and sometimes be at each others' throats. But this is different now.

Travis and Pac chuckles at the pathetic echidna. At that moment, Travis first threw a punch at Knuckles but dodged it at the last minute. Sonic ran up to Grace and grabbed her hand. "Grace come on! This is our chance." Grace's head was hanging low and said, "I'm gonna stay here." "What?!" Sonic merely shouts, "Why? You have been waiting all this time for this!" "There is a self destruct in this facility for cases like this. If I can activate it, it can destroy this place. But once I do, it won't be enough time for me to get out." Sonic's heart ached for what she said. This isn't fair. Is will he willing to pay the price his escape will cost? He is not willing to let Grace sacrafice herself for this. But if that is the case, then this is the only option they have. Sonic took a deep breath and sighed. "Okay then." Knuckles already knocked out the two bodygaurds that fought him. He heard the whole thing, but the plan won't work if they don't start moving.

"Come on Sonic!" Knuckles said as he checked to see if anyone is out in the hallway. Sonic ran out to the hallway pasing Knuckles. He followed him as he ran and made sure no one that they get caught by anyone. Grace took off in the opposite direction where they ran and went to look for the button she talked about. When she found it, it was locked in some sort of safe. Before she could even touched it, the alarm went off. "Shoot!" she says to herself and tried to unlock the safe.

The robots blocking their wouldn't stopped Sonic's spin dash or Knuckles' charges. They all reminded of Eggman's robots and how weak they all, even if he still made more. They made it outside where the air is cool and jungle was in front of them. Lasers began shooting at them, but Sonic and Knuckles dodged every one of them. They kept on running nonstop, but the thought of Grace was still on their minds. When they made it far away out of the jungle, a loud bang was heard from the facility. Grace did it. She had finally done it. Sonic looked back and felt the sorrow of leaving her behind. "Well, at least we made it out." Knuckles said facing him. Sonic nodded, "Yeah, so what now?" The only response Knuckles could give him is shrug.

"THAT DARN GRACE! I KNEW THAT I SHOULD HAVE NEVER TRUSTED HER!" Dr. Statham yells angrily. He was outside of the burning facility with Pac, Travis and the rest of the G.A.M.E. members. "So what now boss?" asked Pac. Dr. Starham only made a low slow laugh and said, "Time for plan B."