CHAPTER XV

ꜰ ɪ ꜰ ᴛ ᴇ ᴇ ɴ
J O U R N A L

ꜰ ɪ ꜰ ᴛ ᴇ ᴇ ɴJ O U R N A L

The devil played us all.

Those five words managed to stir their faces into disarray. It plunged their minds into chaos, and the anxiety seeped out of their thoughts and gestures.

Gale, the same as the other two, was dumbfounded. He crossed his arms, striving hard to keep the worry out of his face. Indeed, the man faltered against the uncertainty. His plan, as sturdy as he made it, had a crack—Romulo. And like every crack, it came with a potential to grow into a fissure that could send all of Gale's plans to collapse.

On the contrary, while Gale plunged into panic, Night was as calm as a creek. He cackled in his mind, though making sure not to let anyone notice his amusement. The young boss couldn't help but find the situation humorous—an old exorcist trying to warn two devil-possessed about a devil's presence. Little did he know that they invited the demons themselves—doors open and guards down. Albeit, he wasn't looking forward to seeing their charade break earlier than anticipated. Night sighed, his eyes drawn into Lila. His cheeks turned red after realizing he was already staring.

Fortunately for him, Lila was numb to the young boss's glances. All her mind thought about was the old coot standing in front of her, soundless and disoriented. She could only imagine what he had gone through in his youth. Perhaps their presence triggered a dark memory and caused his paranoia to surface? Yet how could she help someone who wasn't willing to help himself?

Romulo's sockets were spread open, and inside, pinkish rims surrounded his dreary eyeballs. Eeriness shadowed his every move. His lips contorted, scowling.

"Don't give me that look." The old chap wrapped his fleshy digits around his wooden cane. "I did my part. If you die, you fools have nothing to blame but yourself," he said before turning his back and heading off.

The three sat, collecting their thoughts and remaining silent until the man's footsteps faded into the far distance. It was a long couple of minutes of Romulo limping into the darkness, but the three managed to endure through the awkward atmosphere.

"I feel like I should help him. It's going to be hard to collect his ashes with the wind blowing this hard." Night chuckled in Gale's ear. "I guess we could always take a patch of dirt, put into a vase, and call it a day."

"I heard that." Lila glared at the young boss before chuckling. Her soft laugh sent Night into flustered heaven. He grinned and diverted his face away to hide his reddening cheeks.

"But you know, before he became like that, Romulo was one of the most powerful in our covenant. It's disheartening to see one of your heroes in such a weak state."

Gale raised his eyebrow while his weary eyes gazed far away. "Have you considered putting him in a retirement home?"

"He doesn't want to. This place is his home." Lila smiled through her thin lips. "I can see myself doing the same thing once I've retired. You know, if I have a home."