CHAPTER XIV

ꜰ ᴏ ᴜ ʀ ᴛ ᴇ ᴇ ɴ
D U N G E O N

The flame in Zoe's lamp was a dancer prancing around the short wick

The flame in Zoe's lamp was a dancer prancing around the short wick. It performed a melancholic ballet in rhythm with Zoe's careful steps. Elegance resided in the lass's feet as she tiptoed through the loose soil where the tunnels led her deeper into the earth.

Her knees may tremble, yet her resolve did not falter. She tapped her knuckle against the walls made of boulders, then sighed. At least she needn't worry about the place collapsing over her. One reason ticked away in her list of things to be anxious about.

"H-hello?" Her whisper echoed back in multiples. "What is this place?"

For the first time in years, she wandered without a destination in mind. She was lost. Using Missy's blessing, she could always blip when trouble arose, but now without it, pursuing the dreadful path remained as the only option.

As she trudged through the soil, she questioned why her powers wouldn't work. Was it because Missy didn't want her to go back? Or perhaps something was suppressing it? It wouldn't be strange, she thought. After all, the place belonged to exorcists.

"I-I was looking for the bathroom, but then I got lost," she whispered, practicing her response if she came across someone. "Come on, Zoe, calm down. Who wouldn't believe a sweet little girl like you? You only need to be extra cuter, and you'll be out of this disgusting place soon," she told herself and laughed nervously.

She resumed trudging despite the darkness, despite the fear. Maybe it was Night's optimism and Gale's perseverance that acted as her fuel. Whatever it was, she knew both would want her to continue trying.

The courage didn't fail her, for soon, she spotted a glow through the veil of darkness. Without hesitation, the lass followed it, sprinting as if tracking a star in the night sky. The speck of glitter became brighter, and she soon discovered its source. Runes.

A vast space, looking like a man-made cavern surrounded Zoe. On the walls, etched runic writing glowing in a rich bluish glint. No one was around, but the candles were warm. She arrived at the perfect time, making her wonder if it was all in Missy's plan.

"I'm sorry I didn't trust you, buddy."

Zoe moved her lamp around to study the place. She roamed while avoiding the broken glass that littered her track. It came from the oddly shaped glassware, like those that chemists used to store fluids. They stood on the long table made of wood, untouched for a long time. Some were still intact, while some were half-shattered. But all had stains in them as if they once contained a liquid of some sort.

She marched away with little steps while gawking at the runes carved in the walls and ceilings. Their lights pulsed like fireflies. The sight was the same as sitting below the evening sky and seeing the stars throbbing and dancing. She was enchanted, and in her dottiness, she tumbled, causing her knee to strike against a table.