Chapter Six

I am 100% that no one is reading this, and fair enough because I've re-read and re-written these chapters so much that I find it boring, so how can I expect others to enjoy it too. I like to think my book gets more interesting. (Doubt it). But here I am still posting hahahaha

I woke to the light pattering of rain and creaking floorboards. Cold rippled uncomfortably through the air, causing the hairs on my arms to stand. My neck was crooked in an awkward angle, the pain pulsing through my shoulders as I straightened my joints, sitting upright on Jack’s old comforter. Yawning, I opened my eyes to see Jack standing at the foot of the stairs, dressed in light blue plaid pyjama bottoms that loosely rested on his hips, and an old white tank top. He was looking at me, scratching his bearded chin.

“You stink,” he pointed out after a few seconds. Bluntness overpowered the enthusiastic tone his voice always used to hold. Something was bothering him.

I mumbled an incoherent, “Thanks.” Dried mud stuck to my skin and pants, reminding me of last night’s events. I sighed and risked a glimpse at Parker, wondering if anything had bothered her while she slept. Did she wake during the night, scared? I hoped not. Parker was still sleeping with a raspberry-red blanket cuddled tightly to her body, providing support to her neck and head. She was on her side, facing me, her eyes peacefully closed and pink lips slightly open. Her light breathing was in perfect rhythm with the rain. There was something about the sound that calmed me. “What time did you get back?” I asked, not removing my eyes from his daughter. I didn’t want to look away. I felt as if she would disappear if I did.

Jack didn’t answer. Instead, he cleared his throat, “Eyes on me, kid,” and motioned for me to follow him outside. I unwound myself from the chair and threw the muddy towel in the sink, wondering why Jack’s eyebrows were creasing together and his lips hitched a frown. Once we were outside under the awning and he had quietly closed the door behind him, Jack turned to face me. “Thank you for looking out for her, but you can go home now.”

I watched as the hardening rain turned the gravel driveway into mush, letting his words float through me as I processed them, confused. I had spent every Sunday here since I was two, and now he’s telling me to go home? I didn’t understand. Maybe I was his last option after all, just filling the gap until he could see his kids, and now that his wishes have come true, he doesn’t need or want me around. If that’s true, then he can go to hell.

Jack placed his hand on my shoulder but I shrugged it off, not feeling the same comfort it used to bring me. “I know you’ve changed over the years but don’t bring your shit into Parker’s world. We don’t need the police asking her if she was involved in murder. We-”

I cut him off. “You think I had something to do with the Krasneys’ murder?” my voice was rising uncontrollably as my temper intensified. It rose in me and spread like fire. My hands clenched into fists, and I could feel my cheeks burning.

“It wouldn’t be the first,” he snapped.

“What?” I asked in disbelief.

“Never mind,” Jack shook his head. “Go home, Flynn. I’ll ring you later.”

I stared at him a moment, wanting to say something but couldn’t find the words through my temper. My attention broke as the door creaked open, and a tired, sad-looking Parker appeared with the plastic bag holding my muddy shoes and shirt. I probably needed a new pair, but I couldn’t afford it. “Thanks,” I mumbled as I took the bag from her, turning to leave.

“You’re not staying for breakfast?” she asked.

Without glancing her way, I shook my head and started the walk home. The further I walked away from Parker and closer to home, the less I felt her calming nature, and more coldness of the love my Dad had; or lack of.