Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I kept close to the trail. In daylight, I would easily find my way through the corn, but as the moon gave only a sliver of silver light across the fields, I recklessly trudged through the dampest areas. My vision was altered by the lack of light, and blurry with tears that burned my eyes. I quickly wiped them away as a quiet, cowardly sob fled from my throat.

Stop crying you pussy.

My phone shrilled against the slight clatter of my trembling jaw, and eerie whisper of wilted corn brushing together, snapping beneath my canvas shoes, causing my heart to skip a beat.

My legs kept walking as I weighed my cell phone in the palm of my hand, its yellow glow illuminating my surroundings. I stared at it as if it were going to answer itself before I cleared my throat and hit the green talk button.

The other end was silent a moment too long. I held my breath.

“Hello?” I said finally, my voice raspy.

“Flynn?”

It was Parker. Her voice matched my uncertainty.

I cleared my throat. “How did you get my number?”

“S-someone was standing outside my window,” she said, ignoring my question. “They’re heading towards your house.”

I swallowed. My palms and underarms were damp despite the icy air that covered me, and every possible limb was shaking in distress, triggering my anxiety. “Are you sure it wasn’t just a cloud passing over the moon?”

Parker’s voice grew edgy, “I’m serious!” So was I. “I thought I’d warn you.”

I told her, “I’m not at home,” then for some reason, added, “I’m in the cornfield,” matter-of-factly.

What?” she shrieked.

“Come join me,” I offered, only half joking.

“You’re telling me that someone was standing outside my window, is heading to yours, and you’re in the cornfield?”

“So?” I asked.

“He could be a murderer!”

“Apparently I am, too,” I snapped, remembering what she said before the police asked me a load of questions. “Listen,” I softened my tone. “I’ll finish up here then I’ll come and check on you, okay? Keep the doors locked until I arrive.”

“Thank you,” Parker trembled.

After getting off the phone to Parker, the air fell oddly silent. My heart was hammering in my chest and I couldn’t stop myself from shaking. Parker was right; anyone could be out here, even a murderer, possibly the same person who murdered Mr. and Mrs. Krasney. Maybe they were working their way through the town. Maybe they needed a safe-house. I doubt my parents were in any danger; Dad hid a rifle he knew how to fire, hidden in arms-length from his bed and Mum double-checked the locks every night. Parker, on the other hand, appeared to be alone otherwise she had Jack and Blake, but they had little in defence, if you exclude the cat of course. I don’t think Parker would have phoned me if Jack and her brother were at home which is why I assume she’s home alone. But then again, she was warning me about the stranger lurking between our homes.    

I didn’t feel safe.

I needed to get to Parker, fast, and somehow get passed the stranger unseen, if he really was taking the fifteen minute walk to mine. Running, I could get to Jack’s home in five minutes if I started at the back porch. Trust me, I’ve timed it. The cornfields were further out, adding several minutes to the distance. From memory, it stopped just shy of the stream, providing isolation until then. From there, I could sprint to the back door of Jack’s home.