CHAPTER 26 - Memories

I still remember the time when He Li and I had yet started dating. Sometimes, he would come to the nightclub where I worked and sat down to listen to the songs sung that night, only to tell me to sit beside him.

At that time, I insisted on standing aside. "I'm just a waiter." Even the male hosts would only accompany the female customers to drink.

He would then smile and press me down onto the chair he pulled out. "Who wants you to drink with me? Let's listen to the songs together."

For that whole night, we ended up actually listening to the songs sung.

I still remember a singer wearing a bright silver dress sitting in the middle of the stage, looking like a mermaid bathing in the moonlight. She gently closed her eyes and sung a nameless song:

At the very beginning, you flicked the morning dew off my hair while leading me through a path of blossomed flowers;

At the very end, you said you like her black eyes, leaving me behind without even turning around.

......

After work, he also accompanied me to supper and ordered two bowls of mushroom beef porridge. As I love to eat mushrooms, He Li would use his chopsticks and carefully pick out his mushrooms to put them into my bowl.

During that period of time, I was still feeling down, so I always ignored his expressions of love. Despite my indifference though, he actually managed to persevere.

After eating supper, I would feel sleepy and wanted to head home. He Li would then always insist on sending me back.

I refused. "I want to walk back so I can digest what I ate."

"Such a coincidence. I also want to walk to digest my food too." He made up his mind to stick to me. "I will inform my assistant to drive the car back for me."

At around three o'clock in the morning, he and I would walk side by side along the street as vehicles occasionally passed us on the road.

On the way, I heard a loud noise, and before I had time to react, He Li had already hugged me to his chest. Dirty sewage water was splashed onto us. Despite He Li standing in front of me, I was still drenched.

There was also a crackling sound as the bricks on the sidewalk burst out one after another, jumping as high as a person.

He Li quickly pulled me back. I was stunned as I looked at the abruptly collapsed road and the gradually falling water pipes. After a while, I recovered my voice, "What's going on?!" I had a dull expression on, and I didn't even have time to panic either.

To that, He Li only fished out his mobile phone and called the police.

A firetruck quickly arrived, and the whole road was cordoned off. Because a vehicle had sunk into the road in the front, the firemen were conducting an emergency rescue.

Both He Li and I ended up sitting in the back of the firetruck with towels around us as we were soaked thoroughly.

I was so cold that I sneezed and grumbled to He Li, "To be with you is really bad luck. We just had to meet with a water pipe rupture."

He Li smiled bitterly and looked as if he was suffering, "JiYu, you're really heartless. I nearly died to save you."

When he said such words, I immediately felt guilty and kept quiet.

Just earlier, when he was protecting me, he was hit in the back by the flying bricks from the sidewalk.

Fortunately, after a while, He Li's assistant arrived in a hurry.