CHAPTER 27 - Painting Tigers

In the afternoon, I went to a barbershop.

The barber was young, but he grew a little beard on his chin, making him look neither fish nor fowl.

He asked me, "Mister, what kind of haircut do you want? To perm or dye? The prices in our shop are the most reasonable and are worth every cent you pay for. My skills are also very good, and many of my customers end up returning..."

I interrupted his ceaseless chatter, "I want to shave all my hair off."

"Shaved?" For a moment, the barber was so taken aback that his hands stopped moving. "You don't want a single strand of hair left?"

I nodded and repeated, "Not even one."

He laughed awkwardly. "This customer is really different from everyone else. Actually, a shaved head is this year's trend. In last season's Milan Fashion Show, some models walked down the catwalk with a shaved head..."

"I just want to become a monk in the Shaolin Temple. I hope that the abbot will be able to feel my sincerity with this." I gave him a wink.

Hearing that, the barber finally shut his mouth and shaved off my hair quickly.

When I headed to the front desk to pay, I attracted many people's attention.

Outside, I couldn't avoid my confrontation with the cold wind. With my whole head exposed to the wind, it was as if someone had opened my skull and poured ice water into it.

Left with no choice, I entered a department store along the way and bought a yarn beanie to wear on my head.

Managing to arrive back at the hospital by the evening, I went to see Meng SiQi first.

I took off my hat to show him my latest hairstyle and joked, "In the future, you can use the reflection of my bald head and save the money used to buy a mirror."

Meng SiQi laughed in shock. "JiYu, what are you doing? Why did you shave off all your hair?"

"Since all my hair will soon fall off, it will be better to have it all gone in one go than to see them stuck in the comb in bunches. Lingchi is the most frightening thing."

My treatment was scheduled for tomorrow, but I was unsure if I was ready.

Meng SiQi, who was looking at an X-ray film, heard this and laughed. "After the treatment, the hair will still grow out even thicker and blacker than before. You can be reassured about this."

Naturally, it needs to grow out. Otherwise, wouldn't the patient become a barren land forever after recovery? Besides, without any hair, what could they do? It was like asking a girl who loved her own beauty to die.

I suddenly asked, "Since hair can grow back, can a person grow another heart if he died?"

Meng SiQi immediately realized something was wrong. He put down the film and asked me, "Who have you met today?"

I remained silent.

I was still afraid of exposing my ugly sides to him.

Seeing that I refused to answer, Meng SiQi sighed. "One cannot grow another heart, and that's because no one's heart will truly die. As long as you continue to live in this world, your heart will not die."

He gazed at me quietly through his spectacle lenses. "Sometimes, you may think that your heart has turned into ashes, but in fact, it's just injured, and time will heal the wound. Your heart is not dead. It's still beating in your chest alive, strong and powerful."

I rubbed my chest. He was right. It was still strongly beating and not yet dead.

I looked down at the X-ray film that he had placed on the table. As it was something that showed the internal organs of the human body, it looked gloomy.