Chapter 17: Patience

Kayla returns to the present and let the flashbacks remain in the past. She runs through her solo choreography. Waltz, pirouette, pilè, twirl, wide lunge, fouettés, arabesque, assemble, attitude, penchè. Battement. Jete. Releve. Tendu. Then freestyles the rest with long jumps. High leg spins. Lenghty twirls. Elegant poses. Spread eagle lunges.  

The fabric of the tutu breathes in the air of the room, flowing as the clouds do. Surfing the wind. Kayla creates poise art in a fluid dance. Her body is a well-oiled machine. A force of pure frustration. An outlet of artistic angst. As if made of clay, her limbs form complex tangles, shapeshifting into remarkable figures. The style of modern and classic ballet merge as one.  

She ends the choreography by sticking the landing with one pointed foot on the floor while the other reaches far behind. Kay holds the pose, keeping as still as possible. She doesn't move an inch.

Clapping sounds from the doorway. Kay looks to the door. Isabell stands under a grand archway. Her ballet instructor. As usual, Isabell's blonde hair is in a high ponytail. The tiny woman strides forward in a black dress. She continues clapping. "You're beginning to dance with emotion...not as someone following a lesson." Her squeaky voice resonates the studio.

Kayla ends the stance, relaxing her limbs from their rigorous workout. "I thought we're supposed to follow the lessons."

"Not when on the stage. The best dancers morph into their craft...without restraints. Without fretting over the mathematics of the performance. Ballet is more than forcing your body into demands. It's about soul. Passion. Your practice is the first I've seen where my lessons are dismissed."

"Thank you." Kayla bows gracefully.

"Your drive has improved. What has changed?"

"My dreams have been showing me my true path."

"Which is?"

Kay choose to be honest. "That I have power within...and that it's time to wield it."

Isabell nods eagerly. "Indeed, you do." The older woman turns away and walks toward the door. "The solo is yours. Prepare yourself for tomorrow's show."

Kayla's mouth drops to the floor. All the craziness of yesterday disappears, now buried under excitement. The achievement of winning the solo trumps the horrors of last night. She's ecstatic. Thrilled. Happy. Kay covers her mouth, hopping up and down, squealing cheerfully. Kayla dashes to the hall phone to dial Darius's number. As soon as he answers, she blurts, "I won the solo!!"

"Yes! I knew you would, congratulations!"

"I can't believe it!" She giggles.

"Maybe your parents will lessen your punishment now."

"I'll just apologize, I don't care. Today is the best day ever!" She singsongs. "I'll call you later, I gotta go tell them the news."

Kayla swoops up her bookbag and runs home. She doesn't even change from her uniform, due to exhilaration. 

THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!! 

When home, she find her mother flipping pancakes in the kitchen. James sorts through work folders at the bar area. Kay jets from the elevator.

"When did you leave the house??!!" James stands immediately.

"I'm sorry, I went to the studio to work on choreography. I should have asked first."

"YES, YOU SHOULD HAVE!" He places down the folders and marches her way.

"I'm sorry about last night. I'm sorry for yelling. Can we just forget it?"