Chapter 33: Rumors

Kayla isn't in the food line as he expects. Hmmm...where is she? He hurriedly grabs a cup of chopped green apples and a carton of white milk. Kota singles out their table, it's empty....Kay isn't there. He listens for the hum of her body, singling her out from the mass crowd in less than a second. She's talking to Jia and Mya, who are opposed to what she's asking. "I don't care if Mya doesn't want to, but Jia, you gave your word that you'll try to be accepting of him. Come sit with us."

"I know...I did...but that was before I saw him."

"He's not going to attack you! You're being ridiculous!" Kayla disputes.

Jia cautiously zoom her caramel eyes to the side. "I'll try some other time...I promise. It all happened too fast. I wasn't expecting to meet Kota so soon. I need a few days."

"I can't believe you...you're starting to sound like her!" Kay singles out Mya.

Who laughs bitterly. "Maybe because we're behaving like normal people...and you're not. I'm not alone in this. You have to understand that we're struggling. We're not being mean...we're being truthful."

"Unbelievable! I can't believe you two!" Kayla marches off with her plate of fruit. The berry platter jiggles, dropping a few of the sweet snacks to the floor. She's so irked by her friends.

Oh, no...I caused this. I don't want to distance her from her friends. They seem nice...I understand how hard it is to adapt to me. I'm not a normal person. Her girls know what I am, so they don't fall for my lure. They're not under my hypnosis, like the rest of the school. When they see me...they know my true colors.

Kota waits a few moments for Kayla to cool down. She picks up grapes and chew them angrily. Her beady eyes are enraged. I should've brought the necklace I made...at least that would cheer her up. I'll bring it next week.

Kota deems it safe to join her when she stops chewing as roughly. He sits opposite her once again. "Hey. What's up?"

"Do you want to volunteer to decorate the gym for the dance?"

"Sure, that sounds fun."

"I'll tell Ms. Young tomorrow that we want to sign up."

"Are you going to the dance?" He asks nonchalantly as possible.

"No...grounded, remember? I need your cheat code."

Kota opens the fruit cup and snacks on a few pieces of the apple. "Well, since you are my friend, I can share it with you free of charge."

"You better or I'll disown you."

Kota holds his chest to act hurt. "That hurt my heart."

"Hmm...I thought it didn't work?"

Do I admit that it works for her...or is it too soon? "It's complicated."

"Does it has to do with the necklace?"

HOW DOES SHE KNOW ABOUT THAT? CAN SHE READ MY MIND??! "What necklace?" Kay points to his chest. This ends his panicking. I thought she was referring to the one I made her. "Oh...right. I forgot about it."

"How is that possible...it's so unique." She adores the arrows attached to the chain.

"My grandad made it for me to help with vampire obstacles."

"Is it why you can be around humans and not..." She leans onto the table to say the next words privately. "Drink from them?"

"Yes...it also allows me to be in the sun. It's spelled."

"Oh..."

They both look to the side, detecting that they have an audience. Many of the students watch their close interaction, speculating that they're a couple. Kayla withdraws and returns to eating. "Wait until the rumors start." She rolls her eyes.