Chapter Twenty-Two: Luna Quinn

I'm so sorry.... Forgive me?

Luna’s parents had been fighting for a long time now. Year and years. Luna had a habit of just leaving the house when things got too intense. So, one cold night in November, that’s what she did when the yelling turned physical.

She went to Mali’s house, tears lingering on her cheeks. “I needed to get out.” Luna’s soft voice cracked on Mali’s doorstep.

Mali’s heart softened at seeing her friend in such distress. “Come on in,” Mali stepped aside and Luna walked in her welcoming house. “What’s wrong?” Mali asked, following Luna into her living room.

Luna sat down on the couch and sighed. “My parents.” Luna took a deep, shaky breath. “Listen, Mali, my house has been hectic lately and showers calm me down. Is it cool if I…?”

“Oh, yeah, sure. Come on,” Mali took Luna’s cold hand and led her upstairs, through her room and to her bathroom. Mali showed Luna how to work the shower, gave her a few towels, and gave Luna the best smile she could manage. “Take as long as you like, I’ll be downstairs. Just holler if you need anything.”

Luna smiled. “Thank you, Mali.”

Mali walked out of the bathroom and Luna stripped and stepped into the shower tub. Luna washed her hair, letting the steaming hot water flow over her shoulders. It felt nice to just let herself cry without anyone wondering why. She didn’t even know why.

Luna was done shampooing her hair.

If only Mali’s kindness could stop her from turning to grab the conditioner, if only she couldn’t drive, if only her parents didn’t fight, if only showers didn’t calm her down. There’s a dozen ‘if onlys’ that you could put the blame on for what happened next, but the only thing truly to blame is coincidence.

Luna turned to grab the conditioner and slipped, hitting the back of her head, where her skull meets her neck, on the faucet. The blood mixed in with the water and Luna didn’t even have time to brace herself or even to scream.

She died silently.

Within the next fifteen minutes, Mali got worried about how long Luna was taking. It had been half an hour. Mali debated whether she should or shouldn’t check on Luna. In the end she decided that she needed to.

Mali stood up from her couch and walked upstairs, through her room. She knocked on the bathroom door and got no answer. “Luna,” Mali slowly opened the door. The water was still running and the towels were still where Mali had left them.

“Luna,” Mali said again, begging for a response.

Mali waited for another minute. She reached out a shaky hand and clutched the edge of the shower curtain. Mali counted to three in her head. When she got to three, Mali threw open the shower curtain and screamed.

“Luna!” She screamed.

“RAMONA!”

Mali didn’t scream at seeing Luna’s naked body. She screamed at Luna’s still open, blank eyes. She screamed at the blood still running from Luna’s body. She screamed at how pale her friend was. She screamed at the death.

Ramona came running the bathroom and held Mali in her arms. Then Ramona called the hospital. An ambulance came and paramedics decided that there was nothing that could be done. She was pronounced dead at ten-o-five PM.

Mali and Ash were questioned whether or not Luna’s accident was an accident or if she was suicidal.

Ash claimed it was an accident on the account of a promise Luna had made.

Mali was too overwhelmed to think straight.

Neither of the two were useful.