KUN

Chapter 9

Banga stood in front of the council with the great forest behind him. The large trees towering the horizon seeming to touch the sky. The clouds settling on its tips making the heavens closer than ever.

At the raised podium, all the men positioned themselves on the wooden seats. It was an all men affair and she kept track of everyone present, guess he didn't need to prove himself to the rest of the population. The women staying back at their homes, knowing the inevitable would happen. Banga would be chief and they would be under a very tight yoke after.

It had been one and a half moon cycles since the death of the chief and the council already cast their vote behind Banga sidelining Beul's children. With no confidence from the council the heirs didn't challenge maybe waiting for Toluse who wasn't Mali and everyone knew the council would never even gaze on him. Giving them time to grow and mature as the elders with grey hair obviously suggested

Kun turned to see the full moon visible this late afternoon peaking from the direction of the forest. It was closer and already having it's haunting glow. She stayed still in her position. Using her thighs to steady herself on the tree branch as her hands held the bamboo spying glass. It didn't see that far but from where she was she could keep track of tiny details. It was a gift from her father, bought from traders who ventured to the east, to celebrate her engagement. It made up the hilt of the sword and could be easily detached giving her the opportunity to see what was needed.

The high priest dressed in now white took his collection of shrubs that looked more like a broom and swatted it around his body cleansing him one last time. It looked like Banga was getting a beating but he didn't flinch, letting the old man do his thing. His assistant, a small albino boy, held on to the staff. Kun's eye narrowed, the boy was too young to be a part of this but yet he always seemed to be getting a pass. Even at the funeral he was the only child present and while others whispered about the boys fate, she had come across many of them to not be surprised at the colour of his skin. but she found herself having a particular interest on him as her eyes followed the only child in the group. He moved close to the high priest ever present like his shadow.

Today was Banga's coronation, he stood there as war paint was applied all over his body, his eyes focused at the crowd of men infront of him. Those were the people he needed to prove himself too. Not  his wives and definitely not the women that were to serve them.

Would he really mediate between a wife and an abusive husband? The answer to that question was as clear as daylight. He would probably go ahead and help the 'poor' man better discipline his wife. Unlike Beul, the mountain,  a chief who actually initiated some type of relationship with the south be it trade and a military alliance fortified by Kun herself. She doubted Banga would do the same. The south was known for women who openly questioned men, fought them and leadership long stopped being all about men, a woman could lead and that's what scared people in Kir, to know one day they would be dealing with a woman southern chief.

She bit her tongue watching the spectacle infront of her, her sister wives being obedient or fearful were back home praying for their husband to pass the test. Well she knew Nei and Tora were. The rest knew he would succeed. There was nothing the Boar ever failed in when he set his mind on something. The era of the Boar was to begin that was for sure.

The high priest went ahead to draw white lines down Banga's spine as he stayed still, his muscles tensed. Did they seem to get bigger? she squinted her eyes, she hadn't seen him since she birthed the twins. A notion the people had refused to take as a curse but once the southern council had threatened to take the children the people of the north reluctantly accepted in fear of having the boars children in the south. What a disgrace it would seem to have other people raise your own children.