II | A Stranger at the Gates

Chapter Two - A Stranger at the Gates

The memories of her life before is like a haunting dream of what could have been.

Her life should have been the adventurous tale of an elf warrior with mythical powers and a will of iron.

Instead it became the tragedy of a bride killing her own husband the wedding night.

Truthfully, the nightmares of her wedding are reminders of a life taken away and a path forced by power. By the power in herself and that of those who wield it over others.

She was never ment to die that night, but he never realized that.

The blade slicing into her flesh and turning white with her blood didn't kill her, no, it killed him and cursed her.

He doomed his kingdom, and cursed them both.

~*~*~

"Miss Isleda, your breakfast is ready!" Skip, the youngest of the ice servants calls from the veranda. At least the boy is better at taking orders than his mother, if one can call her that. She on the other hand, still insists on titles, nearly a hundred years after it all begun frosting over.

Every ice servant looks like an elf carved in ice, yet they move and speak like any other elf. And the little, adorable puppy and majestic horse she created a few moons back act just like their live counterparts. They too die like them -- there has been many ice puppies throughout the century.

Soon there will be no more puppies and no more tiny ice elf babies, and those who already inhabit her realm will freeze solid, just like her, their Mistress and Queen.

The day that begun with the morning sun shining over the white mountain tops and with a slight breeze, turned icy and dangerous as the hours pass by. The darkness fell hours before it should have and fierce gusts of wind -- strong enough to take down a few of the old trees in its path -- beat against the castle walls.

The air beyond the safety of the castle walls are a dangerous mix of ice and snow, you're blinded by the swirling snow while the ice simultaneously rips your lungs to shreds.

Despite the storm raging away outside, there is a eerie quiet over the palace, only penetrated by the storm, a single crackling fireplace deep within and the occasional sound of squeaking hinges.

Then she feels it, she feels them, a presence closing in on the great gate leading to the palace grounds. It's a feeling like a flickering light -- a fragile beauty and a fiery danger -- no being not created in ice by her magic has come this close in over seven decades.

It gives her one last flicker of hope that her land and people are not eternally doomed after all.

A/N : These first chapters are really short, but they get longer fast.