chapter 2

Alexander T. Sterling was agonizing to work with, but he wasn't stupid. Quite the opposite, in fact. He was clever and sly, with the wits of a fox that helped him survive in the world of business despite his shit motivation. After all, he was his father's son.

Nadia knew her dismissal would've at least caused some stir in the business world, from the frenzy of rival businesses using this unsteady period of time to their advantage to the rush of those who wanted to claim the position for themselves. Yet somehow, Alexander had managed to keep all word of it out of the media. No articles were written speculating what she could've possibly done, no emails for job offers flooded her inbox. In fact, she was still receiving messages addressed to Nadia Rose Valencia, COO of Sterling Industries.

She wondered what Alexander would come up with when the story eventually leaked. He certainly wouldn't spill any details of how she happened upon his indecent HR violation.

Although she hated to admit it, it kept her up at night. Everything kept her up at night. She had spent so many sleepless weeks at Sterling Industries that she didn't know how to have a good rest anymore. The week after she was fired, she spent her time facetiming Urban, helping him out with the transition. Then after he began needing her less and less, Nadia focused all her time on training Subway. But Subway's temperament fit with hers perfectly— she was a cute, calm, clean little white puppy, so it didn't take long. And now, with the unemployment mark reaching almost a month, there was nothing for her to do.

Tonight, she decided upon a session of yoga to calm herself. But once the session hit three long hours, Nadia collapsed onto her mat, staring up at the ceiling of her penthouse. She needed out.

She threw on a black turtleneck, her favorite jeans, and a trenchcoat, then with a quick scratch behind Subway's ear, she was in the elevator and out the door of her apartment complex. Even though it was 12AM, she lived in midtown Manhattan, so there were still throngs of people out: tourists, businesspeople winding down after a long day, groups of friends coming out from restaurants and bars.

Nadia sighed as she watched a pair of girls laughing as they walked past her. She had always been so preoccupied with Sterling Industries that the only real friend she considered herself having was Urban.

But that was what made you COO, she thought, before she caught herself. She didn't even have a job now, not anymore. So in the end, it wasn't even damn worth it.

But then, another thought came to her head. Fuck it. Without Sterling Industries tying her down, she could go live her life now. The hours she spent working instead of spoiling herself in her twenties could be redeemed now, especially since she had the money to do it. Impulsively, she walked to one of the finest restaurants in Manhattan, one she had been eyeing for years but never had the time to treat herself to.

Spontaneity. That was the missing piece in her life. Every move she made was calculated for the long run, a play made to win big in the end. Now, she could do what she wanted, live how she wanted. For herself.

"I'm sorry. You need a reservation ahead of time," the lady told her apologetically.

Nadia took it back. Damn spontaneity.

"When's the next available time you have?"

"Table for one, yes?"

Nadia nodded.

"That'll be next month. What's your name?"

She didn't let the disappointment show on her face. "Nadia Valencia."

The lady's pen hesitated upon the page. She looked up with wide eyes. "Nadia Rose Valencia? As in COO of Sterling Industries?"

Nadia blinked as she remembered that the restaurant's owner was a friend of Thomas A. Sterling. She was fired, but: it's not what you can do for Sterling Industries, but what Sterling Industries can do for you. Nadia nodded again. "Yes."