chapter 4

"What do you think of this headline?" The interviewer asked. She was sharp-tongued and straightforward, yet fully capable of twisting words to create a story.

Alexander leaned back in his chair, nonchalant. "It was a mistake, through and through. We were allured by sentiment. The thought of the poor children... honestly, it's terrible that Julius Gildstein still profits to this day." He shook his head, the corner of his lip curling in disappointment. "It is not what Sterling Industries stands behind nor what we want to subsidize."

"Absolutely," Nadia began. "And we must remember, it is Alexander's first year as CEO, as well as his first picking the charity. On his behalf, Urban and I have decided that the proceeds from this year's ball will instead be donated to the Save the Arctic Wildlife Fund. But Sterling Industries will match all funds dollar for dollar, and donate to the National Fund for Children's Hospitals as well. We hope this will be an adequate apology for our previous choice."

Urban discreetly stepped on Nadia's toe, interrupting her speech with a, "Yes, we all have decided upon the two charities. And this time, we have done extensive research into where the proceeds go. We would like to thank the public for informing our corporation before we could make such a dire mistake."

On the ride back from the interview, Alexander took his own car, while Nadia and Urban rode back to Sterling Industries together. Urban closed the door, and immediately launched into a short lecture as soon as the chauffeur began driving.

"Nadia Rose Valencia, I didn't ask you how you got us our jobs back, but what the hell are you trying to do now? I know we hate Alex S., but you can't pin all the blame on him when this is going in the New York Times!"

"I didn't pin the blame on him, though," Nadia lied weakly.

"It may not have seemed outright during the interview, but now, they'll make it seem as if it was all Alexander's fault. You know this."

She did know. This was all part of the plan she envisioned, and this was simply the consequence of it being set into motion.

"Nadia, what the hell is going on?" Urban repeated.

Urban was her partner in crime. Her best friend. If she didn't tell him about her deal with Preston, she knew it would all collapse sooner or later.

So despite the guilt devouring her stomach, she explained everything. Preston's proposal. Her own reluctance. What happened after the accusations of their affair. Her plan to take Alexander down and become CEO herself.

"So that's why..." He trailed off, referring to the disaster of an interview they had just finished.

"Yes. I need Alexander to continue making bad decisions so that the board of directors have no choice but to fire him, even if his father is the chairman."

Urban was silent. Nadia trained her eyes out the window, refusing to look at him.

Then, "Bitch, why didn't you just tell me? I almost ruined your plan!"

She swiveled her head back to him and blinked. "You're not against it?"

"Against it? If it's Alexander we're talking about, I'm always on your side. And I love doing people like him dirty." He gave her a sideways smile. "You conniving little bitch. I'm so proud of you."

|||

The damage from the charity ball incident had been done. Most blamed Alexander, though frankly, he didn't care enough to address the issue or correct the rumors. But as Nadia had suspected, it didn't warrant his dismissal.