I Promise

That day, Teachers Marie and Pierre had a different activity planned for everyone at the camp. They went outside the museum this time, to the playground. Their teachers had set up a scavenger hunt for the class.

Aina and Maki had teamed up, of course. But soon, it was clear what their weaknesses were. Aina struggled with the puzzles and math equations a lot, while Maki struggled with the physical challenges, like climbing the monkey bars. Fortunately, Maki was there to solve the puzzles, while Aina was always there to carry them through the physical challenges.

They had finally gotten to the last clue, and they figured it out the same time another team had—Harry and his brother, Liam. The two brothers began to run to where the treasure was: 'the place where one could light the flame through the air', which was, of course, their own classroom.

Aina clasped Maki's hand. It was a race now, plain and simple. "Okay, at the count of three, we'll make a run for it! One—two—three—"

They ran, and with Aina leading, soon they outran the two brothers. Harry was the kid who had almost called Maki a 'nerd', so it was personal. She wanted—needed—to beat him.

They were almost at the classroom, but Maki had begun to slow down. He stumbled over something on the floor, and Aina had to stop to catch him.

"Go—on—without—me—" he huffed.

"No!" Aina said. "We'll win this together."

At that moment, Harry and Liam passed them by, and seconds later, she could hear the cheers from Teachers Marie and Pierre. Maki collapsed on the ground, still panting.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm really sorry, Aina."

"Ah well, it's okay," Aina said. It was disappointing, but she shrugged it off. "Are you okay? Do you have asthma or something? I'd feel so guilty if something happened to you—"

"No, I'm okay," he said. "I just need to catch my breath."

"Congratulations, Aina and Maki!" Teacher Marie said when they entered the classroom, minutes later. "Second place, but good job, still!"

"Oh, and by the way, Aina," Teacher Pierre said, "Happy Birthday! We heard your mother telling you earlier when she dropped you off today."

Aina blushed at that, and thanked them, shyly. She looked over at Maki, who, to her surprise, looked utterly mortified.

"Oh my God," he said. "It's your birthday?" When Aina nodded, he groaned. "And we lost on your birthday. I'm so sorry. We lost because of me."

"No, no it's not just your fault," Aina said. "Actually, I was also a bit slow with the puzzles. You solved all of them." She sighed. "I think that really means that I should start studying more."

He clasped her hand. "I'm so sorry. I promise I'll make it up to you next time. I'm going to be stronger next time, and I won't let you down again."

"It's really not a big deal," Aina said, laughing. "But okay, since you promised too, I'm also going to study harder. So next time I'll be able to help you solve the puzzles. Deal?"

"Deal." He offered her his hand, and she shook it.

"Your birthday will be better next time," he said. "Because we're going to be better." He smiled at her. "I promise."

And now, 23 years later, he had finally kept that promise.