CHAPTER 5: Fragments of the Past

"Oh Nine, why are you just standing in front of the door? Why don't you go in?" Ma'am Nicole asked. "I'm worried about what they may say, so it's better to wait for you teacher." I answered. "Okay, stay here and when I call you, come in and introduce yourself, alright?" she asked. "Okay, Ma'am." I said. The truth is, we were late by about 15 minutes for the homeroom meeting. The time allotted for this is only 30 minutes. In this class, I only know Jake but I am looking forward to making new friends. I heard Ma'am Nicole's voice and knew she'd call me soon. "Okay, let's welcome your classmate." 

I was nervous and at the same time, excited because there were new faces that I'll come to know. This is it, I opened the door. I didn't turn my face to see my classmates so I continued forward, looking straightforward and chinned up. I did stand beside Ms. Nicole at that time, I looked in front and saw the reactions of my classmates. "Okay Nine, can you please introduce yourself to us?" "Hello! Good Morning Everyone! I am Nine, 13 years old. I like singing, performing, swimming, and archery. I'm looking forward to making new friends. I hope we can get along well. Nice to meet you!" I clearly said. It seems they are whispering to each other like those typical people who love to gossip. Someone raised her hand and asked, "What rank did you get in the entrance exam?"

I truly hesitated to say the truth because they may expect so much from me, but I need to tell them. "I am Rank 1 in the entrance exam." I said. Based on their reactions, they couldn't believe it but Ma'am Nicole said, "Yes, he is Rank 1, we had confirmed it with the principal earlier on." All their attention was focused on me. It made me feel uncomfortable, but this is to be expected. "Okay now, Nine please choose among the vacant seats where you want to be seated." she said. I had seen Jake waving his arms, telling me to seat beside him. Of course, I didn't know anyone except Jake so I took his offer. I walked towards Jake's direction, put down my bag, and sat beside him.

"As I thought, we'll be classmates again." Jake happily said. Then the two people in front of us greeted me. "Hi, Nine! I'm Reign. Nice to meet you." she said, "How are you, Nine? I am Cindy." she said. "Oh! Hello! I am Nine and I am looking forward to being friends with you." I replied with a smile. I didn't realize that the two of them had turned their ears red. "So, it's the first day of school and someone's in love with you." Jake whispered. "Shut up! Don't lead things to a conclusion." I stated. I continued to greet those who had given their regards to me. I'm happy I have created new acquaintances. I was about to go to the restroom when a teacher came in. He hurriedly went in front and looked like he was going to say something important.

"Okay 1-Topaz, I have already announced it to other classes. There would be an acquaintance party for all the 1st years later at 5:30 pm." he said. "We are expecting you to enjoy this night, make new friends, and get to know each other's personalities." he added. As soon as he left the classroom, it turned out to be as loud as a commotion in a public market. "Hey, Nine! What should we wear tonight? Formal or Casual?" Jake asked. "I think it is much better to ask the teachers first, but I think it would probably be a casual one." I said. I continued to go to the restroom because I couldn't hold it anymore.

I was washing my hands when I heard a conversation. "Do you know that Nine?" "Ah, the one who had been Rank 1?" "Yes, I'm talking about him." "So what about him?" "I think he's kind of cute, handsome, and lovable." "Huh? What are you saying? Don't tell me you're in love with him?" "I think so, but I know he won't notice me at all." "That's fine, just give him your motivation." Then the two boys went out, I was still shocked by what I had heard. I didn't know how to respond when I saw him, but why did he like me though?" I was reflecting on myself and kind of spaced out while walking in the hallway.

I met Aunt Mitch, who seemed to be observing other classes. "Nine, are you okay?" she asked. "Oh Aunt, I am fine. I just want to ask you if there is any required dress to wear for the acquaintance party later?" "Oh, I heard that it would be a casual one so students can interact more freely." she replied. "I understand it. Aunt, I'm gonna go to my classroom first." I said. I went back to the classroom and I was shocked to see many letters on my desk. "My best friend, you do have many love letters for the first day." Jake teased me. I looked around and most students were paying attention to me.

I collected all the letters and put them inside my bag. "Jake, let's go home now. We need to prepare for the party later." I said. I thought that we're gonna commute, but Jake was fetched by his family driver. He offered me a ride to go home. "Long time no see, Nine." the driver said. "This voice, I heard it somewhere, I do see this person but when?" I murmured. My head hurts, but there were some events that I remember. "Oh, long time no see Mr. Ben." I smiled. "What? Nine, have you just said his name?" Jake whispered. I nodded, "But how come? You have lost most of your memories?" he said. "I felt my head hurt, then I saw some lights and it flashed some events and I remembered his name." I explained.

I glanced at Jake and somehow I could see he was happy for me. I told him to keep it a secret because it only happened for the first time. Then, we arrived at my house. Before hopping down, Jake told me he'll pick me up before 5:00 pm. I agreed and I only have 4 hours to prepare right now. I entered the door and said " Mom, I'm home." Mom was confused to see me go home earlier. "Mom, we'll have an acquaintance party later and the teachers said we can go home to make preparations." I stated. "Oh, I had heard it from your Aunt. I already prepared what you will wear." Mom said. How lucky I am to have a kind, caring, and beautiful mother.

Mom prepared food for me to eat because I didn't get to eat lunch. For some time, I played with my phone. I set my alarm at 4:00 pm, I took a nap because I felt tired. Time passed by, and my phone rang and rang. I woke up and took a shower. I wear what my Mom prepared and it looks okay for me. I went downstairs to see my Mom. "Mom, do I look presentable?" I asked. "Of course, you look perfect." she said. "Mom, do I need to put some cosmetics on?" "That decision will be yours to decide, but I think it's much better to have natural beauty." she advised. Jake texted me that they would be here soon.