Chapter 9

Research shows that breaking or forming a habit takes only about twenty-one consecutive days. So each day, not being around her Virat Sir was getting easier for Sai. Whether or not she was in love with Virat Sir, she had gotten used to him. Living with him, in the same room, for a year, give or take a few days when she had been thrown out of the house, she had formed many habits. Despite the alarm, Sai had to wake him up to ensure he was at work on time. She couldn't sleep without wishing him goodnight, but only after making sure he was already asleep. She was used to saving her share of the motichoor ladoo for him. Waiting for him for dinner but not accepting it before him, not talking to him but wanting his presence in the room whenever he was not at work, arguing with him for no reason, teasing him, calling him names. She had gotten so used to all this that a few days into living without him, she was afraid she was getting withdrawal symptoms. 'Perhaps I should call him and give him a chance to explain.' Being a medical student, Sai knew that the only remedy for withdrawal symptoms is to keep at it. How much ever a drug makes you feel good, it will be short-lived. Just like her intimate moments with Virat Sir were short-lived. Each time she had made the mistake of forgetting his promise, she had been rudely awakened. Pakhi Didi had made sure she grounded Sai. She never failed to remind Sai where she belonged in Virat Sir's life: his responsibility.

A few days after leaving Chavan Niwas, Sai met Pulkit Jiju. He had taken his wife, Sai's Devi Tai, on a much-deserved holiday. Hence he wasn't fully clued in with the happenings at her previous not so humble abode. On his return from the break, she was summoned to his office.

"Sai, I have some great news for you. There is new program we are introducing this year: pairing up second year students with a senior resident student, so you can choose your specializations through practice and not just theory. The professors had to nominate 20 short-listed students. So 10 students with the most nominations will get to be part of the program, and you are one of them!" Sai was grinning cheek to cheek with excitement.

Pulkit continued. "Only problem is you will have to work whatever shift your partner works. Will Virat, actually Bhavani Kaku be ok? You will need to get their permission first."

Sai did not know where to start. "Actually that's not needed anymore. I finally took your advice Jiju. I have left Chavan Nivas. I should have never gone back after the accident. You were right, I was betraying my dream—lekin kehte hain na, der aaye dorust aye."

"What do you mean? Left Chavan Niwas... and Virat?" Sai then told him all that had happened since Samrat Dada's return.

"Why did you not call us before—you've been dealing with this alone? And how can you be so sure that Virat has decided to go back to Patralekha. I cannot believe it—he loves you Sai."

"Jiju, I don't want to talk about this anymore. I have decided to focus on my studies right now. Focus on my dream. I am so glad that I have this opportunity. And I am going to make the most of it."

Sai did not want to talk about it, but Pulkit needed to know. So he made a mental note to speak with Virat.

"Ok Sai, Devi and I are with you. And speaking about Devi, you have to come home for dinner tonight; otherwise I might not get to eat. She has so much to tell you about her holiday. She and Harini."

Sai had conflicting feelings about continuing to associate with Virat's family. But then again, while she knew how her relationship would end with Virat Sir, she had never thought of severing ties with Devi Tai and Aai.

Thinking about Aai, she felt a guilty pang. She had not spoken with Aai since the day Virat Sir had made his choice explicit.

"Ok Jiju, I will be there. By the way, Jiju, who is going to be my senior mentor?"

"Oh yes, Dr. Sameer Dixit—you two will be good together. Just like you, he too has been a topper. You two will make a good pair. You will learn a lot under him. The program is going to be officially announced next Monday by Dean Sir, that's when you will be introduced to your partners/mentors."

Sai couldn't contain her excitement—now she had something good to tell her Aai, so she called her immediately.

"Aai, I have been selected for a new program where junior students are being paired with seniors who are doing their residency. So I am actually going to be shadowing a resident. I am so excited. I am going to work with Dr. Sameer Dixit—apparently one of the toppers of NMC!"

Little did she know that on seeing her call, Aai had rushed into Virat's room. Virat had just returned from work and these days, without Sai, was always restless. Aai knew listening to Sai's voice was the antidote, if only for a little while.

However, it had quite the opposite effect on Virat. While the name Sameer Dixit had not rung any bells for Sai, that name hit like a gong in Virat's world.