Chapter 12

When Sai sent Virat the photo of the moment where her goal had just gotten nearer, she did not know that Virat already had a picture of hers. She had her white coat on her favorite yellow suit and the stethoscope around her neck—a natural fit.

"Sai, is this the only dress you own?" A few weeks into their marriage, while dropping her off to college, Virat had teased her. Over several weeks Virat observed that Sai wore the same yellow dress at least once a week, if not more. It was a long yellow kameez with delicate red embroidery on a red churidar with a yellow and red bandhani dupatta. She looked simply stunning in that dress. The first time she wore that dress, it was the day Virat had taken Sai for her college admissions. That same day he had spent the rest of the day with her celebrating her getting admitted to one of the best medical colleges. One could consider that as their first date!. It was that day Virat had started falling in love with Sai.

"Virat Sir, ek toh I have just enough clothes, so I have to repeat an?"

"Sai, how many times have I asked you to buy what you need?"

"No, no please, that's not what I mean. I am satisfied and in love with my more than sufficient collection. I will let you know Sir, for sure. Anyway about this dress, while yellow is not my most favourite colour, it was my Abba's. Abba had gifted this dress to me on my eighteenth birthday, his last gift."

"Sai, sorry I didn't mean to upset you."

"Nahi, Sir. You want to know na why I wear this dress the most—well, it's my lucky dress now. I feel Abba's with me. So on days when I need him the most I wear it."

Virat had not expected this explanation. 'While it appears that way, Sai never does anything randomly.'

So on that memorable Monday, Virat was not surprised to see Sai in her lucky yellow dress. Pulkit had sent him the photo.

"Virat, what have you done this time?"

Pulkit, Virat's brother-in-law and Sai's professor, had a special bond with Sai. She had been instrumental in reuniting him with his wife, Devyani Chavan. The latter had been cruelly separated from him by the Chavan clan. They had been against the union because Pulkit was their servant's son. However much a servant's child tries to rise above their station, they try to get out of the rut, they remain a servant's child. Devyani's child also had been taken away from her and Pulkit soon after its birth. That incident had left Devi Tai in a state of shock; it had turned her into a child herself. 

But Sai had peeled all the layers and broken all the fortresses of false pride surrounding her Devi Tai. To do this, she had gone against the entire Chavan family, including Virat. She had not bothered about the consequences because she knew she was doing the right thing. She had reunited Pulkit Sir and Devi Tai, got them remarried. So Pulkit owed Sai his happiness. Thankfully many years ago, he had managed to unite with his daughter. She had been sent to an orphanage at birth by Bhavani kaku. Now his family was complete. 

Sai had paid an enormous price for doing that; blindfolded by the cunning of Patralekha and Bhavani Kaku, Virat had thrown her out of Chavan Nivas in the middle of the night. She had not been allowed to even grab her things. On discovering the truth, Virat had gone groveling to Gadchiroli to bring her back. This was one of many offenses Virat had committed against Sai; hence Pulkit started with. "So what have you done this time?"

Virat was not surprised by that accusatory tone. "You were right Pulkit. Perhaps I don't deserve her. I shouldn't have forced her to stay back the last time."