Aleksander and the Hawk

The early morning light saw the hoplites training hard. In full armor, they ran through the city and Aleksander one of the foremost runners. The youth ran with long strides and with great speed, even daring to contest the veteran hoplites who ran far before all the others. Mile after mile, he strove with them and only in the last mile did his pace slow. But in the last hundred meters, he found speed and strength in his legs, unknowingly blessed by Hermes the messenger god. Short steps and the downhill slope aided him in his final sprint and he finished among the first ten hoplites, impressing his older fellows. Following this run, as he walked back to the common mess, a cry was heard from above. Looking heavenward, he saw a hawk sitting on the eaves and watching him with keen eye. For this hawk was a symbol of the camp and was believed to have been a gifts from the gods. But to Aleksander, he felt the eyes without blessing, but with judgement. Ignoring the bird of prey, the warrior went about his day.

   It was late evening when the bird sat and watched the tall youth again. This time, it was following an event that brought worry to Aleksander. For he had seen Joshua's belonging's carried out, for he had left much in his haste. This concerned the defender of man, for to him it seemed as if a sign the dark-haired youth would not be returning for a long time. And on his walk to help clear his troubled brow, he saw the hawk eyeing him with a stern look. Aleksander grew more troubled and pondered if he should consult an oracle, for surely Zeus's bird was there for a divine purpose. In his heart, he suspected the reason; for he had not accompanied his friend on his journey and offered little aid to him in his time of trouble. The hawk, perhaps, was aware that the well-meaning but erring youth had not done everything in his power to help the struggling poet and would be a harbinger of future sorrows, or even judgement for his deeds.