Hoplites and Hope

The week following the new recruits' arrival, life began to settle for the young heroes. Aleksander spent his days studying and training. Oft would he be seen walking between the buildings of the encampment, set like stone in his purpose. In the common mess, he generally sat alone and listened to the bustle around him, studying those nearby as a scholar a fascinating parchment. From all lands and backgrounds did they come and their conversations differed significantly from place to place. His usual companion during these times was dark-haired Abby. The young girl was eager for a friend to speak with and their discussions often took longer than drink lasted. Discussions of heroes of old, legends and monsters, as well as the world around them, flowed easily and readily as the two well-read individuals shared their young thoughts. But though the maiden was quick to tell of her history, Aleksander did not divulge his own past. Though his own story was something of tragedy, he rarely felt the urge to share the tales with mere acquaintances. Aleksander also was not always desiring for company but felt too badly if he would refuse a person asking for a seat beside him. Ever suspicious of the meddling of gods in the lives of heroes, the tall youth feared that Eros, in his twisted knavery, might pierce either or both of them with his poisoned darts against their wills.

   Also in these days did the hero train with the hoplites and always poured libitation to Ares and Athena for victory and glory. However Aleksander found himself questioning his veteran brethren at times. For he had been trained for war from a young age by elder heroes whose glory had faded and was well-versed in phalanx drills and battle. A number instructors of his were not so experienced as he, though they be his betters. Some turned to him and relied on him for advice and the knowledge of ceremonies. He gladly gave it and treated them with due respect, ever eager to aid and prove his ability. Others, however, blustered and covered up their errors with bravado. 

   On this day, Aleksander and the other hoplite recruits were to be instructed on how to form a phalanx and move as one. The veteran of three years who instructed them was far more versed in priestly tradition than in warfare, for he had little knowledge of the subject. Golden-haired Aleksander grew more and more perturbed with common mistakes and errors and struggled to suppress his disdain. When it came time to review the unit and determine who had learned the drills, proud Aleksander informed his judges that he would only execute the first ten movements before quitting the field. He did this as a sign of his distaste for the sorry teacher the recruits had to learn from. When later he was pressed by older warriors for this, he counted the errors the instructor made and emphasized the importance of recruits learning the basics early and correctly. The veterans agreed with him, though chastised him for embarrassing the instructor who had meant well. After this, no more was said of the matter, though Aleksander did appeal to the gods on Olympus to witness the folly that had occurred.