Chapter 9 - Out Running

A/N

So I haven't updated for a while and chances are most have probably forgotten what happened so far. So at the suggestion of a reader, I have decided to give a quick recap. Pardon me if it's not very descriptive because I'm not really good at writing things in short. So here it is:

Elizabeth Waters's whole life changed when she was 19 because of a man named Michael Fields. 4 years later and she is finally ready for revenge, to do unto them what was done to her. So she goes to his and his wife, Susan's 25th wedding anniversary. There she finds out that their son, Tristan, and daughter, Jessica are sending them for a 6 month honeymoon to Hawaii.

The next day, she finds out from Martin, the Editor at Who's Who (where she works as a journalist) that she is to do an interview with Tristan. Things do not go as planned and she lands up with a job in his software company, the Fields Empire, as a call-screener. She readily accepts, as she desperately needs the money.

In the meanwhile, her best friend, Fee, has quit her job as well and is now an intern at the magazine Fabulous! There she gets an opportunity to go to Hawaii and even meet Michael Fields as he happens to be a close friend of the editor of the magazine. Eliza immediately realizes that this can prove to be beneficial for her cause. Also, she decides to form a friendship with Tristan so that she can have greater access into Michael's life.

Thinking all of this, she goes to sleep.....  

*****

'Lizzie....I'm almost there....' Caleb's voice sounds in my ear.

'No! Don't come. The weather is too dangerous....'

'I have to.... Michael told me...'

Caleb doesn't know to drive properly, he can't come now. I'm pacing around the room, trying to convince him to not come.

'Caleb... I'm fine! He's lying.'

'Why will he lie? I'm com-'

Suddenly, I hear a loud boom coming form the other end and I drop the phone, letting out a slent shriek. I quickly pick it up again. 'Caleb! Caleb! Are you alright?' I scream.

Nothing.

CALEB!

I wake up screaming. I am sweating and panting as if I've just run a marathon. A dream, no, nightmare. It was just a nightmare. I haven't had one since a long time, haven't heard my brother's last words, haven't had to relive the most terrible moment of my life. But tonight I did.

I glance at the clock by my bed. 4:50 a.m. I have no hope of falling back asleep, so I get up and go to my bathroom. Getting in front of the sink, I look at myself in the mirror. My hair is sticking to my forehead and my skin is still wrinkled from sleep. But in my eyes, all I can see is terror. No tears, just plain fear and a haunted expression that gets hold of me every time I think of that day.

I splash cold water on my face and try to erase the memory from my mind. I can't keep on remembering that day again and again. It's mentally exhausting. I wash away the sweat, evidence of the nightmare I just had. I know I'm going to get sweaty again, though. Because I'm going to do something I always moments like these.

I get out and enter my kitchen. I pop in some nuts as I have been advised to, by my father and fill a bottle with water. I've not been out jogging in a while, but I think I can manage it.

I change into a tee and shorts and get out of my house. Fresh air will probably do me good. And I start running.

The place I live in is away from the hustle-bustle of town and is really quiet. It is still dark, so no one is in sight and I'm thankful for that. I like my peace in the morning. I pass trees and houses and I feel the terror from this morning fade away slowly. My mind starts becoming blank and I fall into a sort of peace when—