Chapter Six

I grabbed my phone and saw I had a missed call from her. I quickly called her back, and took a deep breath when the ringing stopped.

"Liv? Hey how are you?" I asked, frantic to hear her voice.

The voice on the other line spoke, but it wasn't Liv's. "Hello, is this Madison? This is Liv's mom, she asked me to call you. I have some news, the tumor, the tumor couldn't be removed...."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember seeing this on an episode of Grey's Anatomy once. My mom loved the show, but I despised it. Blood made me queasy, and I don't see how anyone could want to watch people be disected on for fun. 

But one day I came home from school, and as I did my homework, I could hear Patrick Dempsey's voice in the background. He was operating on an older man who had just discovered a tumor on his brain due to previous reoccuring migraines. 

He assured the family he'd be okay, but when he went under for surgery, they couldn't remove the tumor.

He died a few weeks later.

The panic was setting into my chest rapidly, and I could swear I was going to explode. I couldn't lose her before I even got to know her. No, this couldn't happen. 

"M-madison? Are you still there sweetie?" Her mom's voice was sweet like honey, just like Liv's. I couldn't help but calm down at the sound of it.

"Y-yes... I'm sorry, Mrs." I paused, waiting for her to let me know what she'd like to be called.

"Liz. You can call me Liz sweetie." She said. "She's going to be okay, I just wanted to tell you, she asked me to keep you in the know before she went under..."

"Alright, thank you... Um, would it be possible for me to see her after school?" I asked, blinking back any tears that were threatening to spill over. 

"Well, we have a few things to discuss with the doctor, and then I'll be taking her home, and she'll probably want to rest... I'll have her call you, okay?" She said.

"Yes, absolutely. Thank you Mrs. Liz." I said, nervously picking at the chipped letters on my shirt. 

"It's no problem sweetie, goodbye." And with that she hung up.

I completely forgot where I was until I looked around, and saw the empty hallways. I was most definitely going to be late. 

I shoved my phone into my pocket, and sprinted to my next class, English. When I entered the room, it was not quietly. I was a panting mess, not to mention I had unintentionally swung the door into the wall. 

"Well, how nice of you to join us, Mr. Alamia." The teacher said to me.

Great, she already knew my name. Her knowing me before I knew her, well, that was not a good thing. 

I quietly apologized, and sunk into a desk at the back of the room. My best bet was to blend in.

I snuck a look at the clock, and sighed. First day of school, and I was already doing badly. But who could blame me? With Liv being in the position she's in, there's no chance I'll be able to focus until I know she's okay...