Chapter 3: Power of Persuasion

King Rodrig's chambers were full of my mother's paintings. She made those for my late father, because he spent so much time inside, she claimed he should at least look at painted landscapes. Sunshine cast its rays on the floor, the huge table laden with quills and scrolls and the bookshelf behind it. I let out a sigh; the room reminded me of my parents too much, I couldn't fathom how Rodrig bore staying in this room.

Rodrig sat in his leather chair, a sombre expression making him look far older than twenty-three. Across, in the regular wooden chair, sat Sir Danilo of Danth, way too big for the small seat.

I curtsied because I was a lady, "You called for me?"

"Sit." Rodrig commanded.

I grabbed the wooden chair and scooted way too close to Danilo of Danth, who eyed me with such impertinence I had to let out a short laugh, just to throw him off his game. How unaware he was of the fact he would eventually fall desperately in love with me.

"Irina, I'm assuming you've already learned this, but the heir of Irenwell has been called forth regarding the Irenwell debt." Rodrig's eyes met mine; he did not like this one bit.

I shrugged, "A little birdie told me someone has to go to forgotten lands of Orathia."

Danilo of Danth cleared his throat, "Your Grace, it is of utmost importance that an heir of Irenwell joins us on this journey. Oracles have spoken."

"Seriously, does anyone ever reveal what the Oracles have spoken?" I rolled my eyes, earning a serious look from Rodrig. That wayward wrinkle settled between his orange brows forever, it seemed.

"Oracles are not to be mocked." Danilo said.

"Oracles wish they were still important." I challenged him.

Danilo's jaw clenched, "Your Grace, the warnings should not be ignored."

Rodrig's eyes danced between me and Danilo, as if he were trying to make sense of the banter, "Tell us about the journey, Sir Danilo."

Danilo nodded, his eyes reluctantly leaving mine, "It is now the beginning of spring, we are counting on reaching Orathia just before summer starts. Presuming we manage that, we should return by the end of the season." He took in a breath. "We simply must go now. Winters in the distant north are far too hostile and the journey cannot wait till next summer."

Rodrig's eyes fell on his desk and the map on it. Sitting like that, with his head bowed, he resembled our father quite a bit. And the resemblance wasn't merely physical; he was his father's son in every way. Right now, he was even thinking like our father, taking in every possible variable and evaluating the outcome.

And because I was my mother's daughter, I nudged his thoughts in my own preferred direction, "You would be gone half a year." I turned to Danilo. "And is King Bernard going?"

My question was certainly a shot in the dark, but I guessed right, because Danilo shook his head, "Bastia is under too much threat from the towns on the eastern coast. King Bernard cannot currently leave the Kingdom alone."

And neither could Rodrig. Bastia might have been attacked from all sides, but as much as I gathered, the Kingdom in itself was stable, unlike Irenwell. The threat here came from within.

"Hmm," I hummed, "It's a good thing we aren't on the brink of war, then. I suppose Irenwell folk might be better rulers after all."

Danilo's eyebrows furrowed, and I knew he wouldn't be able to stop himself from answering, "Kingdom of Bastia is strong even under enemy threat. Irenwell is only strong when there is no enemy threat."