Chapter 6: Off to the World's End

I knocked on the door to the servants' room. They ate their lunch at the moment, which meant they were all there. I opened, not waiting for the invitation.

They all dropped to their knees once they saw me and murmured at the same time, "Your Grace."

"Where's Daniel?"

The servants were all dressed in grey, which made them slightly interchangeable. A light-haired fellow lifted his head and raised his hand, "I'm Daniel, your Grace."

I frowned, "No, you're not. My Daniel had dark hair."

This seemed to confuse him, "Pardon me, your Grace, I am the only Daniel in the servants' quarters."

Was his name Daniel?

I looked over the boy. He was handsome. His jaw was quite sharp, but his blue eyes were gentle, glinting with mischief.

"Never mind, you'll do." I called him forth with a wave.

The boy grinned from ear to ear and followed.

There was a small possibility they all talked to each other about what I did with them, but I didn't particularly care. My head wouldn't fall. And they were smart enough to protect theirs.

I made my way up the stairs, the boy at my heels.

Gretchen was nowhere in sight to scold me.

"Your Grace?" The boy called after me. "Is it true you're going to the dead lands of Orathia?"

I unlocked the door to my bedroom and grabbed his hand, "Yes, it is. And I need a farewell present."

Once the door closed, I put both hands around the boy's neck. His eyes were so blue, almost the same shade as Danilo's. The boy grabbed my waist, slightly reluctantly, and leaned in. He pulled me in for a kiss. But he knew he was currently with a princess, so he behaved like a gentleman, lingering at the edge of my lips, letting me make the next move.

"Princess Irina!"

My eyes rolled so far back I could almost see my brain. I pushed the boy off the moment a firm knock landed on my door.

"Yes, Gretchen?"

Daniel seemed confused and slightly sad. After all, I might die on my way to Orathia and he wouldn't be able to tell his grandchildren how he once fucked a princess.

Gretchen opened the door, her eyes widening, "Your Grace! The carriage is leaving! Are you even packed? Do you have everything you need? Get the boy out of here, please."

"Yes, I'm prepared." I grunted. As we approached the door, another figure joined in, Danilo. Ah, crap. "Hello there." I leaned against the doorframe, using my foot to push Daniel out.

Danilo's glum eyes followed the boy's footsteps. Once he was out of sight, Danilo's gaze landed on me, "We are leaving."

I snickered, "I was just about to come."

Gretchen cursed under her breath, "Sir, excuse Princess Irina, she is most likely frightened and acting out."

I puffed and pushed past her and Danilo, "Whatever."

She wasn't completely wrong, though. The departure seemed unreal until yesterday evening. The idea of leaving was distant up until now, when it rapidly approached. My instincts told me to stay in Irenwell, where the air didn't burn my face and the most dangerous animal was a rabbit.

"Princess Irina," Gretchen caught up with me, "Are you truly prepared? This journey is dangerous and all kinds of men are lurking about and-"

"Gretchen, I don't need your 'the world is a dangerous place' soliloquy now." A lump formed in my throat; my heart pushed all the blood through the muscles.