No Moment Wasted. Part one.

"Vice President Harris what are your thoughts on what happened in Kabul!" one reporter shouted at Kamala as she walked towards the stairs leading to Air Force Two after just meeting with United States service members at a base in Hawaii.

"Madam Vice President did you decide to meet with troops alone after the incident in Kabul?!" another rudely shouted at her.

"Vice President Harris why are you returning to Washington earlier than expected?!" and another.

Doing her best to keep her emotions in check and ignore the questions being thrown at her patience was wearing thin.

But despite the massive stress she's been feeling about the work awaiting her at home she smiled when she remembered she at least wouldn't be making the rest of the trip back alone as the love of her life followed behind her.

Turning to look at Doug, Kamala noticed the scowl on his face. She knew how hard it was for him sometimes to not say anything when the press were yelling things at her.

It didn't matter how professional he tried to be she knew at times he wanted to forget he was the Second Gentleman and her the Vice President and defend her like the husband he was.

Wanting to calm him Kamala said "Dougie you coming?" as she smiled at him that bright smile she always had for him.

Realizing his wife was talking to him took Doug out of his thoughts as he looked at her and smiled back.

"Right behind you." he told her smiling softly continuing to climb up after her.

Reaching the top he turned to wave along with her to the press and there secret service at the bottom before walking into the plane.

"Madam Vice President." "Second Gentleman Doug." one of her agents said to her as he lead them to there special area.

Seeing Tina her chief of staff leaning on the table holding a iPad Kamala knew that she probably wasn't going to get much rest on this flight.

"I know you haven't had a chance to breathe yet but you have a few emails sent to you by the President and both of your national security teams updating you for your meeting once we land." Tina told her urgently.

Signing heavily Kamala replied "thank you I'll take a look at them." as she grabbed the secure iPad.

"The President said this meeting can be conducted from the navel observatory." "He knows arriving home to this wasn't what any of us expected." Tina said honestly.

"Yeah." "That's a understatement." Kamala said rubbing her hands across her face.

"We have a while before we land so why don't you and Doug get some rest and then you can take a look at them." Tina said knowing her boss hadn't slept much while being on this trip.

"Thank you Tina." Kamala said as she shrugged her suit jacket off laying it across her chair as Tina left the Vice President and Second Gentleman alone.

Looking at her husband she knows he probably hadn't gotten much sleep either noticing the darkness under his eyes. They never did when they were apart so long.

"Want to come sit next to me while we take off?" Kamala said smiling at Doug.

Smiling back at his wife he took the seat next to her entwining her smaller hand with his bigger one after he made sure they were both strapped in.

Hearing the announcement from the pilot about take off Kamala looked out the window feeling like rest was the last thing she was going to get.

Hearing from the pilot that they were now free to move around as they would be in the air for the next 9 hours Kamala unstrapped herself from her seatbelt.