Rival

Ben is way too oblivious sometimes

-----------------------------------

Third Person's P.O.V.

"Whatever it is, no."

"But I haven't even asked you anything yet," Ben whined.

"You've been spam calling me for the last two hours when you know I'm busy cramming for my finals. Of course I'm going to say no!" Gwen shouted firmly.

"But I really need your help," Ben said. 

Gwen rolled her eyes and removed her phone from her ear. She was going to swipe the option to hang up but stopped just before her thumb touched the screen. The redhead sighed and murmured, "This better be important," before putting the phone back to her ear.

"You have five minutes," Gwen stated.

"Thank you," Ben began, "I think Rook has a rival."

"A rival?" Gwen echoed, "Why would Rook have a rival?"

"I'm not sure but it might involve me," Ben said.

"What did you do?" Gwen inquired sternly.

"I didn't do anything!" Ben exclaimed, "At least I don't think I did."

A short silence fell over the two cousins. Gwen was raising a brow with a skeptical look on her face. Ben could feel it on his end and rubbed the back of his neck. Gwen sighed again before speaking up.

"Who's Rook's rival anyway?"

"A Florauna named Clem who got stationed on earth three months ago," Ben answered.

"Hmm," Gwen hummed, "Tell me more about this Clem."

It was Ben's turn to raise a brow.

"Okay..." he started, "Well, I'd heard from some other plumbers that Clem is really shy but he didn't seem that way when I first interacted with him. In fact, he talked with me for quite a while and didn't seem nervous or uncomfortable. Well, that was up until Rook showed up."

"I have a feeling I know where this is going," Gwen thought.

"About two weeks ago Clem gave me a flower crown as a thank you for helping him sort some paperwork and then the day after that he and Rook started going at each other," Ben went on, "They don't physically fight, but it seems like they only try and out do each other whenever I'm around. Something must've happened between them when I wasn't around but I don't know what it is and that's really bugging me."

There was another short silence as Gwen carefully thought of her next question.

"What exactly does Rook and Clem try to out do each other in?"

"That's the weird thing, all they do is be nicer than usual to me in front of the other and give me stuff," Ben replied.

"One last question," Gwen said, "What kinds of stuff have the gifted you?"

"Well, Clem has given me lots of flower crowns and floral arrangements and Rook has given me chocolates, Sumo Slammers stuff and a traditional revonnahgander necklace"

"Oh my god you're such a doofus!" Gwen yelled.

"Hey!" Ben shouted, slightly offended, "I asked for your help not for you to insult me."

"How can you not see it?"

"See what?"

Gwen faced palmed and groaned, "Clem is said to be shy but he has never acted that way around you. Once he gifted you a flower crown, Clem and Rook started a rivalry that they only seem to engage in when they're around you. For the past two weeks they've been being extra nice to you and gifting you things whenever they have the chance. What do you think that means?!"

Ben opened his mouth to reply but went silent. He took a moment to think over everything Gwen just told him. His eyes widened as realization hit him like truck.

"They're courting me?!" he gasped, a bright blush spreading all over his face.

"Duh!" 

"Oh my god... How did it take me this long to realize it?"

"I'm honestly not surprised," Gwen stated.

"Hey!"

"Anyway, good luck sorting that out."

"Wait!" Ben shouted, "I still need your help with this."

"No can do," Gwen said, "Besides, your five minutes ended a long time ago and I still need to study."

"Gwendolyn please!" the brunette pleaded.

"Sorry Ben, but this is something you'll need to fix on your own."

"But-"

Gwen hung up before Ben could finish. He groaned and gently tossed his phone aside. Flopping back on his bed. Ben stared up at the ceiling for a few moments before covering his face with his hands.

"What am I gonna do?" he asked aloud, a soft blush returning to his cheeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A cliffhanger!!! Hahaha! 😈

Anyway, this one was really fun for me to write but not as fun as another prompt coming up later down the line... 👀 

Have a good rest of your day/night!