i.

I rewrote it again, I promise this is the last time. Don't hate me.

A young twenty-two-year old stands in front of the Gilbert home, for the first time since her parents died.

Emily Gilbert had finally returned home, the woman had been away at college and had returned to her home town to finish her degree by completing her internship at Mystic Falls High School.

Emily took a deep breath, preparing for what was to come, before starting to walk across the yard.

Emily felt weird knocking on her own door, but nobody was really expecting her.

"Coming." a mumbled voice was heard through the thick wooden door. The door opened to reveal Jenna Sommers, Emily's aunt.

"Emily." Jenna spoke in shock at the sight of them girl.

"Hey, Aunt J." Emily grinned.

"Oh my god." the older women spoke again, before pulling her niece into a bone crushing hug. "I can't believe you're home." the woman continued to gush over Emily.

"I can't believe I'm home either." Emily confessed as she gladly return the tight embrace of the woman.

"Are Elena and Jer up yet?" Emily questioned as she pulled away. "Jeremy is asleep, but unfortunately Elena is at a sleepover with Bonnie and Caroline." Jenna informed the girl as she ushered her into the house.

"My baby brother, peacefully asleep? Well that just won't do." Emily grinned as she dropped her carry-on bag and began to run up the step of her childhood home.

"Jer Bear." Emily whispered menacing as she snuck into the boys room. Emily smiled at the sight of her brother's body sprawled out on his bed asleep.

The boy had grown so much in the past 3 years, she couldn't believe she missed it.

Pushing away the feeling of regret and sadness, Emily put a grin back on her face and launched herself on top of her brother.

"Jeremyyyyyy!" the woman yelled out in excitement as she disturbed her brother's peace. "What the hell?" the teen spoke groggily as he peaked open his eyes.

"Em?" the boy mumbled in confusion, before his whole body jerked up.

"Emily!" Jeremy grinned as he tackled his sister in a hug.

"What's up, Jer Bear." the woman grinned as she hugged her brother back. "Oh my god. I can't believe you're back." her brother confessed.

"You are back right?" he quickly pulled away to look at his sister. "I'm back." Emily nodded smiling.

"Thank god, one can only take so much of Elena." the boy informed Emily, causing her to laugh.

-

After reuniting with her baby brother and bringing her bags in from her car to her old room, Emily Gilbert hopped into her car and headed off to find her sister.

Emily pulled into the Forbes driveway, shutting off her car and heading up to the front porch. Knocking on the door, Emily was greeting by Sheriff Forbes.

"Emily!" the Sheriff grinned at the young woman.

"Hey, Liz!" Emily grinned at her best friend's mom.

"I didn't know you were home." Liz hugged the girl. "I just got in this morning. I was hoping Elena was here so I could tell her I was home." Emily informed the woman as they pulled away.